Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2001, 10:57 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Question Taoist books

I was hoping someone may help me;

I'm looking to get a good translation (i.e. easy to read and good transmission of meaning) of The book of Lieh Tzu.

There is a translation by A.C. Graham, but one write up says it is like a direct translation and does not convey the full meaning of the text. I was thinking of ordering Eva Wong's "A taosit guide to practical living". I understand it is not an exact translation, but I want to know whether it contains all the stories of the original and how much they diverge from it.

I'd appreciate any feedback (and can also recommend Martin Palmer's version of the book of Chuang Tzu if anyone is interested),

Ian
Old 08-21-2001, 11:18 AM   #2
Suru
United_States
I've got an excellent book on Taoism entitled "Kung Fu Meditations & Chinese Proverbial Wisdom."

It is easy for an English speaker like me to understand, and it is in my opinion abundant of truth/wisdom.

Drew
Old 08-21-2001, 12:58 PM   #3
michaelkvance
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
The Shambala Dragon Edition of the Tao te Ching by John C. H. Wu is the classic rendition in my opinion. Stephen Mitchell's version is totally different, much more lyrical and poetic. Good to read both, in my opinion.

The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton is a classic book on the noted Taoist philosopher.

m.
Old 08-21-2001, 01:43 PM   #4
Kenn
Dojo: looking for a new one
United_States
Although not specifically about Taoism, Dan Millmans "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" is very Taoist in nature. There are references to Tai Chi as well as Aikido in it.

It is one of my favorite, if not my favorite books. An easy read, a great story, and you can pick out and learn what jumps out at you. I have found, after reading it more than a few times, that each time I read it, something new pops up at me.

I ramble. But at any rate, a good book with definite Taoist overtones and influences.

Kenn

Kenn

Remember, the only way to be happy always, is to be happy always, without reason.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:33 PM   #5
Mona
Re: Taoist books

Quote:
Originally posted by ian

I'm looking to get a good translation (i.e. easy to read and good transmission of meaning) of The book of Lieh Tzu.

Ian

Hi Ian,
if you like, you can print out the S.Mitchell version off my site.
Here is the link:
http://www.gurlpages.com/triskele/tao.html

In Aiki,
Mona

"Leave behind all self-centered thoughts, petty desires, and anger. Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything."
~ Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-21-2001, 05:06 PM   #6
Richard Harnack
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Mid-America

Quote:
Originally posted by ian

Ian
Ian-
The most accessible translation(s) of the basic Taoist material can be found in Wing Tsit Chan, Sourcebook in Chinese Philosophy. I have used this book in my classes at the university. Chan's translations are for the most part some of the clearer around, plus he gives you just enough information about the text that you stand a chance of understanding.

Yours In Aiki,
Richard Harnack
Old 08-21-2001, 06:44 PM   #7
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Re: Taoist books

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Harnack

Ian-
The most accessible translation(s) of the basic Taoist material can be found in Wing Tsit Chan, Sourcebook in Chinese Philosophy. I have used this book in my classes at the university. Chan's translations are for the most part some of the clearer around, plus he gives you just enough information about the text that you stand a chance of understanding.
Would it be too frivolous of me to mention the Tao of Pooh (... in which the way is revealed by the Bear of Little Brain), by Benjamin Hoff ?

Sean
x
Old 08-22-2001, 04:35 AM   #8
ian

Many thanks for your replies - I'm not new to Taosim so I've read many versions of the Tao Te Ching and Book of Chuang Tzu (and also the Tao of Poo) - I was hoping for more info on Lieh Tzu and his writing (who is lesser known than Chuang and Lao).

However I will definately try to track down Wing Tsit Chan (Cheers Richard), I've not heard of this before. Also I found the S.Mitchell translation of the Tao Te Ching very accessible (thanks Mona).

Also, thanks for the other suggestions - I'll have to peruse these.

Ian
Old 08-23-2001, 09:38 AM   #9
mariko nakamura
Dojo: Dobunkan Japan
"The Way of Life"
Lao Tzu

Mick
Old 08-30-2001, 01:36 AM   #10
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Originally posted by ian

There is a translation by A.C. Graham, but one write up says it is like a direct translation and does not convey the full meaning of the text. I was thinking of ordering Eva Wong's "A taosit guide to practical living". I understand it is not an exact translation, but I want to know whether it contains all the stories of the original and how much they diverge from it.

I'd appreciate any feedback (and can also recommend Martin Palmer's version of the book of Chuang Tzu if anyone is interested),

Ian
Lao-Tzu Te-Tao Ching by Robert G. Henricks is my choice. (Ballantine Books 1989) It is a translation of the text based on two manuscripts which were discovered in 1973 and which are about five hundred years older than any previously known version. If you have read the book before in various translations this is a very fascinating read because it goes into detail how this version differs from the other versions that we've had.

The translation is excellent and the volume also contains the actual characters which is wonderful if you know any Chinese. Both John K. Fairbank and Wing-tsit Chan wrote positive reviews for the book jacket so I think I am good company for liking this one.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-30-2001, 05:22 AM   #11
ian

That does sound facinating - though there are only so many copies I can buy! Are there any extracts which are free e.g. on the net? - I suppose I could try getting it through the library.

Ian

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!