Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-20-2001, 08:23 AM   #1
Bushin
Ai symbol Books of O´Sensei and fellows.

Hi.
I realize that there has already been a discussion on books,but my knowledge of them is limited,I don´t own any and I´m asking for your advice.
Can you tell me what these books include and what you consider good or bad?

"then you can stand where you like" -Morihei Ueshiba-
Old 08-20-2001, 08:52 AM   #2
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Do symbol

Hi Bushin.

I own many of the books on the other thread, hence the reason why I never posted there.

As far as I'm concerned you should get at least this book "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by A.Westbrook and O. Ratti. I call it my Aikido technical bible

This book gives an overall view of Aikido in a very scientific and systematic manner. It begins with a basic explanation of Aikido and basic Aikido knowledge every practitioner should know. It then goes on to break down the steps involved in attack and defence and gives a detailed explanation of the dynamics of conflict and the Aikido way of dealing with conflict.

It's also full of exercises and descriptions of both empty handed and weapons technique and includes pullouts with all the basic empty handed techniques and a sample Jo kata.

Check out amazon.com and do a name search, you'll get other customer reviews on the book and you'll get a better idea.

Regards
L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 08-20-2001, 09:26 AM   #3
JAD
Dojo: NE Academy of Aikido
Thumbs down

I'll second that! "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by A.Westbrook and O. Ratti is a great book and a good starting point. I agree that in many ways it is a technical bible of Aikido.

On the more philosophical side, I would suggest O'Sensei's little book "The Art of Peace" (I belive published by Shambala Press). While it will take you only a day of so to read, it will take a lifetime to fully understand. Great book.

Best of luck!

JAD
Old 08-20-2001, 09:42 AM   #4
L. Camejo

Canada
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by JAD
On the more philosophical side, I would suggest O'Sensei's little book "The Art of Peace" (I belive published by Shambala Press). While it will take you only a day of so to read, it will take a lifetime to fully understand. Great book.

Best of luck!
Hi JAD

A wise man once said "Great minds think alike."

My next post would have been about "The Art of Peace" - Teachings of O-Sensei, Morihei Ueshiba, Compiled by John Stevens. This is my Aikido Philosophical Bibile, always in my back pocket

You read good books JAD. I second your opinion, one can read this book forwards, backwards, in any order and get a different message every time. A modern classic.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
Old 08-20-2001, 04:38 PM   #5
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Originally posted by L. Camejo

My next post would have been about "The Art of Peace" - Teachings of O-Sensei, Morihei Ueshiba, Compiled by John Stevens. This is my Aikido Philosophical Bibile, always in my back pocket
Hi LC,

Did you see in the other thread about books that Nariyama and Shishida Shihans' book has finally been translated into english and should be available in Osaka. That's going to be an absolute must-have for every shodokan book-shelf. (I cant make it to the festival, but someones going to bring a copy back for me or there's going to be trouble! )

Sean
x
Old 08-20-2001, 06:00 PM   #6
L. Camejo

Canada
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by deepsoup

Hi LC,

Did you see in the other thread about books that Nariyama and Shishida Shihans' book has finally been translated into english and should be available in Osaka. That's going to be an absolute must-have for every shodokan book-shelf. (I cant make it to the festival, but someones going to bring a copy back for me or there's going to be trouble! )

Sean
x
Hi Sean,

Good to see another Shodokan guy in here. I didn't know about those books. Thanks a lot for the info. I MAY be going to the festival, right now we're seeking sponsorship for probably the first ever Shodokan team from the Caribbean. If not, I have some friends in the U.K. (including my Sensei) who are sure to go.

I'll put in an order.

Thanks again.
Masakatsu Agatsu
L.C.

Old 08-21-2001, 05:39 PM   #7
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Originally posted by L. Camejo

Good to see another Shodokan guy in here. I didn't know about those books. Thanks a lot for the info. I MAY be going to the festival, right now we're seeking sponsorship for probably the first ever Shodokan team from the Caribbean. If not, I have some friends in the U.K. (including my Sensei) who are sure to go.

I'll put in an order.
Hi Larry,

Its just the one book, co-written by both shihans, I've seen the japanese version, and the pictures alone are pretty informative, but I cant make head nor tail of the text. Cant wait to get hold of a copy I can actually read.

Good luck with finding sponsorship.
I hear the 2003 festival is probably going to be in the UK, so if you dont make it to Japan, I know the british Shodokan will look forward to welcoming our friends from the Caribbean in a couple of years' time.

Sean
x
Old 08-22-2001, 10:53 AM   #8
L. Camejo

Canada
Ai symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by deepsoup
Its just the one book, co-written by both shihans, I've seen the japanese version, and the pictures alone are pretty informative, but I cant make head nor tail of the text. Cant wait to get hold of a copy I can actually read.

Good luck with finding sponsorship.
I hear the 2003 festival is probably going to be in the UK, so if you dont make it to Japan, I know the british Shodokan will look forward to welcoming our friends from the Caribbean in a couple of years' time.

Sean
x
Hi Sean,

I think I have that Japanese book. I really wish my Japanese were better though I too have to watch the pictures. I can't wait to get a copy. I think it even contained old style Aikijujutsu techniques at the end if I'm not mistaken.

Well if I can't make it to Japan I DEFINITELY will make it to Britain. Can't let you guys win everything all the time .

Thanx for the info.

L.C.

Old 08-26-2001, 01:10 AM   #9
mariko nakamura
Dojo: Dobunkan Japan
Hi guys!
Sorry this is not the topic of discussion.
I dont know what festival you guys are talking about. Can anyone please tell me about this? When and where will it be? I cant believe I dont know about it but I have to go.
If anyone comes to Japan for this youve all got a free place to stay and we can cargo togeather. Promise.
Also if anybody wants any books in English or Japanese that are only available here, let me know. I have a good connection for rare books.

"the way to do is to be" Lao Tzu

Mick
Old 08-26-2001, 01:52 PM   #10
L. Camejo

Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mariko nakamura
Hi guys!
Sorry this is not the topic of discussion.
I dont know what festival you guys are talking about. Can anyone please tell me about this? When and where will it be? I cant believe I dont know about it but I have to go.
If anyone comes to Japan for this youve all got a free place to stay and we can cargo togeather. Promise.
Also if anybody wants any books in English or Japanese that are only available here, let me know. I have a good connection for rare books.

"the way to do is to be" Lao Tzu
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the offer, we'll see what happens in October. The festival that we are talking about is being held at the new olympic stadium in Osaka (Maishima Arena I think is the name). It is being hosted by the Japan Aikido Association (Shodokan Aikido Headquarters) to commemorate the centenary of Prof. Kenji Tomiki's birth. I think it's from October 25-28th.

It will include seminars with senior shihan, judging seminars, senior dan gradings and an Aikido tournament consisting of traditional kata, open kata and randori.

It should be a blast.

For more info check out
http://www.os.xaxon.ne.jp/~shodokan/.../w_yoko_e.html

In 2003 it is supposed to be in Britain, I'm definitely going to that one, but I'm still hoping to make it to Japan this year

L.C.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!