Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #51
Tubig
Australia
Re: Aikido versus Knees and elbows

Xuzen, I agree with you there. That is what I suggested to my dojo mate after I saw him take a moment in silence and tears whilst in pain. I will forward the other info that you suggested tomorrow nite at training, and probably give it a go myself as well. Hopefully it doesn't kill me. hehehe.

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #52
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

3 to 4 rotations, lots of kinetic energy. if you are really good at tenkan about 1 rotation should work.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #53
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

The reason you will get an upper cut moving into this particular clinch is because you are probably leading in with your head down, back bent, and arms extending grabbing for the neck. I normally don't move in with this kind of clinch. Come in a different way, more balanced and guarded...usually you come in with both arms protecting your head, driving up the centerline of uke, once in press you center into him, hugging close and then pummel in over his neck if you bends over at waist. If not, then it is best to pummel down into double underarm hook, or move around to the side in a modified "seat belt securing on arm and reaching around his hip (think irminage style if you must!).

If you are maintaining good posture and defending well, your opponent should not be able to get you in the double arm of the head clinch.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #54
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

I was just re-watching Jason DeLucia's Combat Aikido set so I could reply to a question from Kevin Leavitt on the "BJJ vs Aikido" thread, and saw a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten about how to deal with a clinch. Volume 5 "Striking Throws" demonstrates and explains getting out of a clinch using an ikkyo into entering throw, using an elbow throw, and using an inner thigh throw. He also shows using waki gatami if your opponent steps around out of the inner thigh throw attempt. He shows variations such as reversing into a wrist throw or using a side entry throw after the initial escape, and finishes with a submission. His main idea is that you escape the clinch before the knees and elbows start flying; your escape then puts you in more familiar territory, so you can use variants of techniques that'll seem more familiar, Aikidowise.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #55
Tubig
Australia

Went to training last night. We found a very good technique.

Aigame Ate and lots of it works.

My Tomiki past just got resurrected!!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:12 PM   #56
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Cromwell Salvatera wrote:
Went to training last night. We found a very good technique.

Aigame Ate and lots of it works.

My Tomiki past just got resurrected!!
Figured you'd find that one.

How about Gyaku Gamae Ate and Shomen Ate to add to that?

Happy training.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #57
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Thanks wendy!

I actually practiced alot of clinching this morning along with pummelling and takedowns. Yes, you can see the aikido principles in just about every move you make. Kokyu during pummelling, ikkyo when you swim under the arm, and finally irmi/tenkan as you move to the side of the hip and control for the take down.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #58
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

I've just scanned through the posts so I might have missed this but what about an elbow or knee strike without a clinch? Apart from the obvious "get out of the way".
Old 07-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #59
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Alex, I think that is a different dynamic all together. Much of the principles that you learn in aikido is very relevant. Iriminage, kaitenage, kotegaeshi come to mind. The difference is not the technique or principle, but the timing, distancing, and resistance, and speed that changes as we increase "free play" and intensity.

Funny part about it, once you go there...it looks less like aikido and more like MMA stuff. Vice versa...slow down good MMA training and it will begin to look like Aikido!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!