Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-12-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria
The "secrets" of the "masters"

Hi,
every now and then I here some story that sounds unbelievable. And I don't mean stories of Osensei (how strong he was or how many men he fought).
I mean stories like one of my teachers that has been training for about 30 years, they say he had worn 3 black belts until they broke of to much use. I mean I've been training for 4 years with my white belt all the time (I train very much) and my belt is still as good as new. So how can a person break a belt in 10 years?
Another example is of a guy in our club. Every time he says how long time he's been training, he used to add 1 or 2 years more than the truth. I confronted him about that a couple of times and then he admits. It's all so funny.
Do you know some other "secrets" that you have herd? Please tell them.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Mashu
Re: The "secrets" of the "masters"

Thank you Meggy for testing my impulse control.

Cheers,

M
Old 06-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

About the belt- my sensei just had to buy himself a new black belt because his old one completely disintegrated. It actually Did turn white again!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

rocks in the washer and dryer work pretty well. If you are a purist you can scrub it out on the bank of a river and get it good and worn too!

Seriously, my brown belt is shredding after having it for about 9 years now between karate and aikido which I have been 2nd Kyu in since then! I love it since it actually is broken in and stays tied.

Damn military! gets in the way of training!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Meggy Gurova wrote:
....stories like one of my teachers that has been training for about 30 years, they say he had worn 3 black belts until they broke of to much use. I mean I've been training for 4 years with my white belt all the time (I train very much) and my belt is still as good as new. So how can a person break a belt in 10 years?
"No capital gains this year," he said (not to me).

"Honest."

It's good you brought this up. We need to nip those little white lies in the bud.

They add up.

That's why most women have bad depth perception: they're always being told that _________________________ is nine inches.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Qatana

Don, what does your response have to do with Meggy's question?

And if anybody is insinuating that my sensei doctored his belt in any way for ego-gratification, I'd really like them to meet him.

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

There are black belts you can buy that have a thin layer of black over a white core so the white will come through over time. My karate instructors liked those, though I'm told they don't come cheap.

My dad has an old white belt that looks chewed in one spot. This is because one day, many many years ago, I had a hamster that got loose, found it's way into Dad's gi bag, and made itself a nest.

Fortunately, my dad found it BEFORE he got to the dojo.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Jo, no one is insinuating that i believe....just having a little fun with the topic. I have run into people that do these sort of things though. Not the people I or you study with, but they are out there.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
Qatana

its OK, Kevin, I'm just feeling a little antagonistic since my Dr. has had me on steroids for a week! I'm just getting a little punchy!

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 06-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

steroids! aaahhh the REAL secret of the masters!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #11
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I have been to seminars and the only explaination I can come up for the greyness of some of the black belts is that they must have dragged them behind their car across country. Because when I see a grey and tattered belt, I make sure to work out with that person, and it is SO RARE that one of the grey and tattered belt wearing folks will be operating with the power I'm expecting. I'll fall for anyone - and I'll work from almost 0% of my maximum resistance to 100% of my maximum resistance to make it the best training expereience for the partner - pretty much depeneding on what they seem to like best (I start out going anywhere they put me, and then I start to add resistance intil they are either moving a bit slower and working harder, or they blow through my feeble resistance and plant me using my resistance against me.) If I catch a grey and tattered belt wearer, I always start out near 100% resistance. If they can't handle it, fine, Ill back off, but they should go buy a nice shiny new black belt and save their grey one for when they make a little more progress.

Rob
Old 06-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

About 10 yrs ago it seemed to be the fasion to wash your black belt with stones (like stone washed jeans I suppose), and two instructors I knew did just this.

It was quite embarrassing when I first washed my black belt - it must have been sitting with the powder on it for a while and it looked like I'd tried (very poorly) to bleach part of it! A secret no-one knows (till now) is that I always tell people I've been training since I was 16; which is true, but I don't mention that I've probably had in all about a 3 year gap during this period.

Last edited by ian : 06-13-2005 at 10:06 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 06-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #13
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I'll fall for anyone - ....
Rob
Hey, That's what my wife said the first time I met her at the dojo!

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 06-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #14
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

My sensei has a belt that has faded to a light gray. He tells us that it got bleached when he was in California and his sensei had them training in the ocean on sunny days He may have retired it since I haven't seen it for a long time.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

I have yet to see a belt wear "authentically."

I think it's also pretty funny, the dans in my dojo have trained an average of 15 yrs. each (2 of them about 25 yrs) and the only wear any of their belts have is where the knot is tied...and that's just the edges, not the center of the belt...no sign of failure of any of those belts on the horizon.

My faithful ole' white, after it had been used almost every day for several years, didn't show a smudge of wear...except for dirt and sometimes it reaked of sweat and forced me to wash it.

I to, would suspect foul-play in the demise of a belt...regardless of threats.

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 06-13-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
Don, what does your response have to do with Meggy's question?

And if anybody is insinuating that my sensei doctored his belt in any way for ego-gratification, I'd really like them to meet him.
You've already suggested medication as responsible for you taking these things seriously; you certainly shouldn't have taken my with any great gravity, which I hoped was evident from the tone.

The original post seemed playful to me. I was playful in return. Still friends?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #17
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
A secret no-one knows (till now) is that I always tell people I've been training since I was 16; which is true, but I don't mention that I've probably had in all about a 3 year gap during this period.
That's a tasty one!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #18
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

I've got one that faded to a nice grey, then the fabric started to wear through. As the inner lining began to come through it showed as....lime green!

Yeah, I retired it asap.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #19
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

cool! I think a lime green belt with a hawian pattern hakama would be much better for this 'beach training'.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #20
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

I learned a valuable lesson around 3 years ago: Don't stop at the store on your way home from the dojo; buy a half-litre of HagenDaaz chocolate, but it in your gi-bag, and forget it's there.

Until I could get a new gi I had to make do with an old one - but I used the belt for a few days. People asked me what the dark brown stains were...I told them 'dried blood'.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #21
Tubig
Australia

When I was going to nikyu going to ikyu back in my Tomiki aiki days. I dyed my blue belt with yellow and red to turn into brown. This is after I saw DIY dyeing program on cable. Well naturally they said that I can use salt water to fix the dye. Well... They were wrong, and I followed their wrong advice.

I had a red belt line on every single Gi I had ( i have three then). When I decided to soak the colour red out. all of them turned pink. Bloody hell mate!!! I earned a nick 'Pink San' when called for demonstration. That was 16 years ago. I hope I am wiser now with laundry.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #22
Qatana

Wasn;t there a judo master who had a similar experience? His entire gi turned pink in the wash right before the tournament, so he had no choice but to win! And wore the pink gi to every subsequebt match...

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 06-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #23
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I remember a sensei who 'left' his frayed black belt in the dojo dressing room and then sent me an email looking for it. "It's a good thing you are not married," I told him, "because your wife would just tell you to throw the useless old rag out!"

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!