Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Bryan
United_States
MA geeks

I thought I might share an interesting social aspect I've noticed aobut being a martial arts geek.

I'm the type of person that really gets deeply into the subjects that appeal to me. When I was a young boy I was into Spiderman comic books. I always had to have them. I still have spiderman stuff everywhere since my family always buys it for me even though I gave up buying the comics years back....but I was always know as a comic book geek because if my deep interest in the spidy character.

Video Games were another thing I spent too much time on. I still do, even though I spend much less time. I was there when the first space invaders game showed up at the pinball arcade down the street. I took my fare share of jabs and pokes about being a video game freak / geek / etc while growing up (and I use that term loosely).

I work in the software field, on the quality side. I had a strong interest in computers and all related aspects for some time (yea past tense...sick of it now). Of course, when I'm at a social gathering meeting new people and the discussion of careers and work come up I get the usual...oh so your a computer geek, maybe you can help me with mine. The geek jabs are always an expected conversation topic when work comes up.

I'm also now know Fitness nut/geek/freak or as my wife like to put it..a food Nazi. That certainly spurs a lot of juicy discussion here in the US where a large population of the worlds fattest people are created.

So there are all kinds of geeks into all kinds of things. I'm really into MA. I currently train Aikido, Hapkido, and TaeKwonDo. I've trained in Kajukenbo in the past. I'm always up for a MA training session, trading techniques / philosophies with other stylists, or just having a discussion about some MA topic. I am deffinately a MA geek, no doubt about it.

The interesting thing I have noticed is that people certainly recognize that I am MA geek when it gets to the discussion of my hobbies, but most are not so willing to start tossing out the geek comments like they do with other topics.

People don't seem to make fun of MA geeks as much as other geeks...at least not to their face.

sorry..I didn't think this would be such a long post.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: MA geeks

Hmm, some of my co-workers know I do aikido, and have seen demos we've done for bring your children to work day. They have no problems comparing it to WWF, etc. directly to my face. I just sigh, and get over it. They are perfectly well aware that I can't demonstrate on them without assuming a great deal of risk.

The one person who used to jump out of corners to try to scare me no longer does that though. The occational snide remark can be ignored.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

You mean Kato?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Drew Scott
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States

Now eez not ze TIME, Kato!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
Karen King
Dojo: Albuquerque Aikikai

"the enthusiastic, to those who are not, are always something of a trial..." I can't remember who said that. Has it always been the case that the passionate/enthusiastic are branded as inferior (a "geek")...or is this a relatively modern phenomena? What does the word "geek" mean to people anyway???
Old 06-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yeah kato...but its not appropriate at work to hand kato his head! Not that I wasn't tempted a few times...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Karen King wrote:
Has it alwayss been the case that the passionate/enthusiastic are branded as inferior (a "geek")...or is this a relatively modern phenomena? What does the word "geek" mean to people anyway???
I started out being called a "nerd," which at my college was a label worn proudly by everyone there (at the movies shown on the weekends, there'd be a reminder slide saying, "Nerds, silence your watches") -- a "nerd" was a brainy/studious person and there was nothing inferior about it although I definitely ran into a little bit of "jock versus nerd" stuff.

When I was younger, teens were occasionally referred to as "geeky" when they were tall, awkward and socially inept as teens often are.

More recently, around here (Massachusetts) "geek" has been used to describe a nerd who was also awkward as opposed to merely seriously studious. I think "geek" has recently lost the awkwardness connotation as technology has infiltrated society so more and more people have the opportunity to be geeky/nerdy. So now when people call someone a "computer geek," they tend to say it with respect for that person's knowledge. Geeks today aren't necessarily assumed to be socially inept (nerds were, though we did fine together), just extremely -- fanatically, even -- knowledgeable about their field of expertise.

Most people I know who refer to someone as a "geek" aren't considering that person inferior. So, now you've got the Massachusetts view -- how about the rest of you?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

I'm definitely a martial arts geek above all of my other hobbies! I would literally talk on the phone with some of my friends (some of which are girls who have NO knowledge of Martial Arts whatsoever) and out of nowhere I start talking about martial arts and what I'm doing with it and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, LOL! It's SOOOO bad that I have to apologize to the person for boring them to death! LOL! However, of course...the majority of the people I talk to about it don't make fun of me for it or whatever and they definitely don't try to scare me (that much at least, LOL). Of course...I do occasionally get a few people who'd say how ineffective martial arts are and what not...but I always ask them if they want me to prove them wrong and they usually decline! ; )

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015