Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #26
MatthewJones
Location: Washington State
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

The guy is a joke it is obvious, I'm tempted to just leave it at that, the unfortunate thing is that people might not be as savvy to this and fall for the marketing crap.

I would never train with someone who refers to themselves as sensei, but that is just me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #27
Michael Rosen
Dojo: ChiDoKai Dojo
Location: Arizona
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Greetings fellow martial artists! My name is Michael Rosen and I was encouraged to join this forum due to the fact that there seemed to be quite a good discussion, although erroneous in most accounts, about my teaching and my ryu.

I am thankful, and surprised, to learn that the ideas and motives of an insignificant person such as myself have been contemplated by so many! However, I did feel that it would be appropriate to clarify a few things, although I doubt if any of the same people who presumed to judge me will take the time to read this.

But first let me say that my Japanese language skills are not so great as to make presumptions, however I have found that many others grossly misinterpret and over romanticize the language. I apologize in advance for any errors on my part, and welcome knowledgeable direction.

I never presumed to call myself Osensei. I was first called Osensei by a wonderful Japanese woman whose son I had been teaching for some time. When I presumed to correct her, she kindly let me know that as there were several teachers of the system which I was teaching, and all of them had been taught by me, I was the teacher of teachers, or the head teacher. She went on to state that as the founder of the system, with no other direct teachers above me, the title of Osensei was indeed correct. She continued to press the point by saying that, over the many years of our relationship, she had found that my teachings transcended the simple concepts of my art and directed students toward a truer understanding of themselves and their place in the community. This, she said, was the main reason that she addressed me as Osensei. I was both humbled and honored to receive her compliment. Other students began to address me in this way, and I would laugh it off with such remarks as "are you saying I am the fattest of teachers?" (O sensei).

In my twenty five years of the study and practice of martial arts, I have found that rank and title are thrown around like so much fertilizer within the systems. I have tried to stay true to the traditions, and according to Professor Sig Kufferath (Dan Zan Ryu), no longer with us in body, I had done a decent job of it. I knew that creating a style would open myself and my students to ridicule, but I also new that anyone who had become familiar with my methods and my system, were able to appreciate it.

There were many other errors in the conversation I read in the Aikiweb forum, but as the entire forum was based upon what was obviously a rudimentary browsing of the ChiDoKai web site, I will address those issues as seriously interested martial artists bring them directly to my attention.

I will close, however, be stating that I do appreciate those teachers who do not charge for their teachings. I myself have given away over $100,000 dollars worth of classes in the past ten years to low income children and to children who were referred to me with Autism and Downs Syndrome. I also know that in order to offer classes seven hours per day, five days per week, it is hard to find time to keep an outside source of income. As many of my students have come to me with vast martial experience as well as police officers and military special forces, I doubt that they would pay me if they did not see the value of my teachings.

I am thankful every day for the hundreds of students who have trained in our Washington State and Arizona training halls, and to those teachers who continue to teach Byakko Ryu Jujutsu. I am confident that they have received the best possible foundation in martial arts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #28
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Michael Rosen wrote:
Greetings fellow martial artists! My name is Michael Rosen and I was encouraged to join this forum due to the fact that there seemed to be quite a good discussion, although erroneous in most accounts, about my teaching and my ryu....
Thanks for your side and its moderate presentation. It speaks well of you.

Welcome to the discussions.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #29
thomas_dixon
Location: Florida, USA
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 185
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Michael Rosen wrote:
Greetings fellow martial artists! My name is Michael Rosen and I was encouraged to join this forum due to the fact that there seemed to be quite a good discussion, although erroneous in most accounts, about my teaching and my ryu.
They are observations and perceptions of those observations, from material you allow to be displayed publicly. Nothing more. If you don't want questionable material posted on your site, then don't allow it.

Quote:
I am thankful, and surprised, to learn that the ideas and motives of an insignificant person such as myself have been contemplated by so many! However, I did feel that it would be appropriate to clarify a few things, although I doubt if any of the same people who presumed to judge me will take the time to read this.
Your ideas nor motives were contemplated, or questioned; rather your methods.

Quote:
But first let me say that my Japanese language skills are not so great as to make presumptions, however I have found that many others grossly misinterpret and over romanticize the language. I apologize in advance for any errors on my part, and welcome knowledgeable direction.

I never presumed to call myself Osensei. I was first called Osensei by a wonderful Japanese woman whose son I had been teaching for some time. When I presumed to correct her, she kindly let me know that as there were several teachers of the system which I was teaching, and all of them had been taught by me, I was the teacher of teachers, or the head teacher. She went on to state that as the founder of the system, with no other direct teachers above me, the title of Osensei was indeed correct. She continued to press the point by saying that, over the many years of our relationship, she had found that my teachings transcended the simple concepts of my art and directed students toward a truer understanding of themselves and their place in the community. This, she said, was the main reason that she addressed me as Osensei. I was both humbled and honored to receive her compliment. Other students began to address me in this way, and I would laugh it off with such remarks as "are you saying I am the fattest of teachers?" (O sensei).
Yet you allow others, who speak english quite well, (well enough to spell, and use proper grammar) on your personal website to call you so? I think not. If someone called me a title I thought I did not deserve, I would politely correct them.

Quote:
In my twenty five years of the study and practice of martial arts, I have found that rank and title are thrown around like so much fertilizer within the systems. I have tried to stay true to the traditions, and according to Professor Sig Kufferath (Dan Zan Ryu), no longer with us in body, I had done a decent job of it. I knew that creating a style would open myself and my students to ridicule, but I also new that anyone who had become familiar with my methods and my system, were able to appreciate it.
Why not teach a traditional system then, or any grounded, proven system? Of which, by assumptions of your statements, you seem to have years of experiance in; however, years do not equate to experiance.

Quote:
There were many other errors in the conversation I read in the Aikiweb forum, but as the entire forum was based upon what was obviously a rudimentary browsing of the ChiDoKai web site, I will address those issues as seriously interested martial artists bring them directly to my attention.
Indeed. People read what you have to display. I already brought them to the attention of the people here. You charge, in my opinion too much. You don't spar for two (2) years, and teach your own system, which you created. you also link to other Jujutsu Organizations, of which you also created. Classic signs of a McDojo/Bullshido.

Quote:
I will close, however, be stating that I do appreciate those teachers who do not charge for their teachings. I myself have given away over $100,000 dollars worth of classes in the past ten years to low income children and to children who were referred to me with Autism and Downs Syndrome. I also know that in order to offer classes seven hours per day, five days per week, it is hard to find time to keep an outside source of income. As many of my students have come to me with vast martial experience as well as police officers and military special forces, I doubt that they would pay me if they did not see the value of my teachings.
I don't. You see people in ATA TKD schools everywhere. You see people in Juko-Kai, Yellow Bamboo, and many other fraudulant 'arts'. And another thing: you've been counting?

Quote:
I am thankful every day for the hundreds of students who have trained in our Washington State and Arizona training halls, and to those teachers who continue to teach Byakko Ryu Jujutsu. I am confident that they have received the best possible foundation in martial arts.
Good. Because I'm not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:23 PM   #30
tacgroup1
Dojo: The Toyoda Center
Location: Michigan
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Wow! pretty harsh treatment from a bunch of people ya' hardly know so much for making friends here.

Someone's title, the name of their style, how much they charge... what does it matter?

Mr. Rosen, I thought it was very big of you to step into the fray and explain your points as you did, although you didnt have to. What you call yourself, what you teach and what you charge is your business.

As you well know, there are millions of people in the world that do NOTHING with themselves but they will complain about those that ARE doing something. If you are doing something wrong, it will come back to you, if you are doing something right...well, you know...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #31
eyrie
 
eyrie's Avatar
Location: Summerholm, Queensland
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,126
Australia
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

I think the comments from some here have been pretty harsh, borne of smallminded ignorance.
In "traditional" jujitsu-ryu, it is common for students to "create" (express) their own style (hence ryu), based on their knowledge and understanding of the arts. It is, was, always has been the way of jujitsu-ryu.

There is nothing wrong with what the man charges, if that's what the market will pay, even if it is on the high-side of the national average.

Based on the criteria, by which some are "judging" this man, by the same token, it would be appropriate to call Ueshiba a fraud and Aikikai a McDojo, would it not?

Ignatius
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #32
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Why not teach a traditional system then, or any grounded, proven system? Of which, by assumptions of your statements, you seem to have years of experiance in; however, years do not equate to experiance.
Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
Based on the criteria, by which some are "judging" this man, by the same token, it would be appropriate to call Ueshiba a fraud and Aikikai a McDojo, would it not?
Precisely. Does the pertinent variable come down to epithelial
folds?

Karl Friday talks about a "sword saint" (Kamiizumi?) confering Menkyo Kaidan (complete transmission of the art) on a student who "studied diligently since spring". So much for a lifetime endeavor.

Kano opened the Kodokan at 22.

22!

How about a round-eye doing that...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 AM   #33
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 202
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

I can understand completely Mr. Rosen being given the title of O Sensei. Not many people get into a martial art and think "hmm...I want to become a sensei". Most of the time it just kind of happens as a natural progression, they open a school with a couple of friends, do some lessons, and a couple years later they are sensei.

Is he a McDojo/Bullshido? Maybe, maybe not. One can easily see how jujitsu and kung fu could be combined effectively, just look at the MMA world. If he has people, especially trained people, coming to him for lessons, then he is probably legit. I'm sure the world viewed JKD, Aikido, and Judo the same way. Bottom line really boils down to does this system do what is says it does? Probably. It makes no claims about effectiveness. It does make claims about developing character, discussing philosophy, and having a varied student-makeup. All of those are easy. If it is effective, then it is effective. There is only one way to find out and I refuse to take a road-trip just to verify if this is effective or not.

I really don't understand what the problem is. The site makes no claims that sound false. Mr. Rosen is making no claims that overstep his bounds in any way. Will he ever get the "sacred knowledge" that always resides in martial arts at the grand-master type levels? Nope. Did he say he will? Nope. Sounds like some lost kid went zen in high school, really liked it, wanted to learn more, got into martial arts, liked them, tried a couple, got good, and said "hey, i've got an idea, lets sell what i know as a whole package instead of seprate parts" and did it. I heard about one kid who got a skateboard, got good, learned some tricks, started combining stuff, and revolutionized the world. Guy is named Tony Hawk. If you want to get realistic, everyone who owns a dojo teaches from whatever they know and in the way they wanted to be taught, rather than the way they were. His fees are irrelavent. He could have a contract, maybe not, they could be temporary, maybe not. IT DOES NOT MATTER!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #34
thomas_dixon
Location: Florida, USA
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 185
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Precisely. Does the pertinent variable come down to epithelial
folds?

Karl Friday talks about a "sword saint" (Kamiizumi?) confering Menkyo Kaidan (complete transmission of the art) on a student who "studied diligently since spring". So much for a lifetime endeavor.

Kano opened the Kodokan at 22.

22!

How about a round-eye doing that...
I didn't say anything about age. I said years do not equate to experiance.


Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
I can understand completely Mr. Rosen being given the title of O Sensei. Not many people get into a martial art and think "hmm...I want to become a sensei". Most of the time it just kind of happens as a natural progression, they open a school with a couple of friends, do some lessons, and a couple years later they are sensei.
I don't. People who have no experiance in martial arts do not have the right to designate you a title in such. I'm not going to let a Software Programmer designate me a Radiologist.


Quote:
Is he a McDojo/Bullshido? Maybe, maybe not. One can easily see how jujitsu and kung fu could be combined effectively, just look at the MMA world. If he has people, especially trained people, coming to him for lessons, then he is probably legit. I'm sure the world viewed JKD, Aikido, and Judo the same way.
Indeed. But those people (MMA) actually fight. As opposed to "light sparring".

Quote:
Bottom line really boils down to does this system do what is says it does? Probably. It makes no claims about effectiveness. It does make claims about developing character, discussing philosophy, and having a varied student-makeup. All of those are easy. If it is effective, then it is effective. There is only one way to find out and I refuse to take a road-trip just to verify if this is effective or not.
A Martial Art is defined by teaching combat, or fighting. Not philosophy, or character development.

Quote:
I really don't understand what the problem is. The site makes no claims that sound false. Mr. Rosen is making no claims that overstep his bounds in any way. Will he ever get the "sacred knowledge" that always resides in martial arts at the grand-master type levels? Nope. Did he say he will? Nope. Sounds like some lost kid went zen in high school, really liked it, wanted to learn more, got into martial arts, liked them, tried a couple, got good, and said "hey, i've got an idea, lets sell what i know as a whole package instead of seprate parts" and did it.
Jack of all trades, Master of none.


Quote:
I heard about one kid who got a skateboard, got good, learned some tricks, started combining stuff, and revolutionized the world. Guy is named Tony Hawk. If you want to get realistic, everyone who owns a dojo teaches from whatever they know and in the way they wanted to be taught, rather than the way they were.
Skateboarding is not teaching other people how to defend themselves.


Quote:
His fees are irrelavent. He could have a contract, maybe not, they could be temporary, maybe not. IT DOES NOT MATTER!
Laughable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #35
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 202
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

I can understand the Rad Tech thing, but I disagree. If someone comes to you and says "hey can you show me some of the stuff you learned in aikido" you are a sensei (sensei literally means one who has gone before and is commonly used for any type of teacher). If people start doing this on a regular basis and you keep teaching, you are a sensei.

Questioning the self defence aspects of the system because it does not fight professionally is stupid. Do aikidoka get in the UFC cages to prove what they do works?

Boxing is a westerm martial art, one that is completely about fighting. The eastern mindset is a bit diffrent, just look at BJJ as opposed to aikido or the tea ceremony.

I agree with you on the jack of all trades, but he is NOT selling himself as a high and mighty kung fu and ju jitsu master, he is selling himself as someone with a background in both and a master of something he created.

Skateboarding is not teaching people how to defend themselves, but there is no reason that just because Mr. Rosen did his own thing that it just cannot work. Fighting is simple.

And if you have a problem with his fees, either complain to him or dont pay them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #36
kironin
 
kironin's Avatar
Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
Location: Houston,TX
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,038
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

I don't see the fees as at all relevant.

On the west side of and central part of Houston,
martial art schools typically charge $110-120/month
without any private lessons. Private lessons cost an extra
$75-150/hour. In that context, Aikido clubs charge in the range of $70-90/hour without private lessons. The Aikido clubs are smaller and to my knowledge the ones trying to
be full time teachers are just either modestly getting by or have considerable debt. It's a little offensive that $140/month for the time offered is somehow seen as unacceptable. If his market can handle that more power to him.

I don't make a dime from teaching, but the expenses and time put in sometimes make me question the wisdom of that approach. Teachers in general tend to be undervalued in our culture so if he is able to make it work out more power to him.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #37
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Team Combat USA
Location: Olympia, Washington
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

I recently went to atlanta and trained with a couple of world class BJJ guys. I gladly forked out $25.00 per class for around 150.00 for the week I trained with them. The training I recieved was worth it.

Think aikido is cheap? Look at what some people have to invest to earn their shodan. Travel fees, seminar fees etc. Bokken, hakamas, shinai, jo... it all adds up.

Consider yourself lucky if you can get by on an average cost of less than 140.00 per month in expenses for training!

That said, some of the best training I have recieved as been at a cost of $0.00. I have worked with many really, really good teachers who did not believe in charging. You also could not study with these guys on a regular basis cause they typically did not charge cause they did not want the responsibility to have to be consistent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #38
thomas_dixon
Location: Florida, USA
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 185
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
I can understand the Rad Tech thing, but I disagree. If someone comes to you and says "hey can you show me some of the stuff you learned in aikido" you are a sensei (sensei literally means one who has gone before and is commonly used for any type of teacher). If people start doing this on a regular basis and you keep teaching, you are a sensei.
I disagree. Having someone teach something they're not qualified to teach can get you hurt. This is eqivilant to having a 1st kyu start teaching his friends (and charging for it) Aikido. It's immoral to teach what you do not yet understand. While you may have more understanding than those who haven't taken it, your place is to learn, not to teach.

Quote:
Questioning the self defence aspects of the system because it does not fight professionally is stupid. Do aikidoka get in the UFC cages to prove what they do works?
Show where I questioned his system for not fighting professionally. Someone made an argument that what he does is fine because MMA merges styles, from things such as Wing Chun to BJJ, and I said while this is true, they also fight for a living. Hard sparring and contact almost from the beginning. Not two years later after paying $140 a month.

Quote:
Boxing is a westerm martial art, one that is completely about fighting. The eastern mindset is a bit diffrent, just look at BJJ as opposed to aikido or the tea ceremony.
True, however with the philosophy of some of the Eastern Martial Arts, also comes effectiveness.

Quote:
he is selling himself
Nuff said. I'm simply saying, that at $140, being something he created, merging Japanese and Chinese names, not sparring for 2 years, having affiliation with a organization he also created, just makes his practice seem like BS to me. This is my opinion.

Quote:
Skateboarding is not teaching people how to defend themselves, but there is no reason that just because Mr. Rosen did his own thing that it just cannot work. Fighting is simple.

And if you have a problem with his fees, either complain to him or dont pay them.
If fighting is so simple, why are there systemized methods to fighting? Thats like saying "reading is simple" to someone who can't read. I never said just because he did his own thing it can't work, I said in combination of his fees and other factors stated above it looks like BS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #39
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
This is eqivilant to having a 1st kyu start teaching his friends (and charging for it) Aikido. It's immoral to teach what you do not yet understand. While you may have more understanding than those who haven't taken it, your place is to learn, not to teach.
Count me tainted. There's lots I don't understand but teach anyway. Oops.

I think the methodology rather explicitly acknowledges this--you learn by teaching. Saotome was out spreading gospel at SHODAN. Chiba (Kanai? Sorry, couldn't find the reference) confessed to teaching YONDANs at Honbu once as a 5 kyu!

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:24 PM   #40
kironin
 
kironin's Avatar
Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
Location: Houston,TX
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,038
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
I disagree. Having someone teach something they're not qualified to teach can get you hurt. This is eqivilant to having a 1st kyu start teaching his friends (and charging for it) Aikido. It's immoral to teach what you do not yet understand. While you may have more understanding than those who haven't taken it, your place is to learn, not to teach.

This attitude would have certainly stunted the growth of Aikido in it's womb in the early days.

20 - 30 years ago or more there were clubs started by 1st kyus that grew into large organizations (even a couple of cases I know it happening with 5th kyus, a case with a 2nd kyu too). They simply had no other option if they wanted to continue aikido.


I was going to quote something from Tohei Sensei's instruction to instructors from his 1966 book "Aikido in Daily Life" but it's at my office so I will quote Ueshiba Sensei instead,

"Nature is broad and profound. The more you advance, the more you see ahead of you. Aikido is a way without end, harmonious with Nature."

"I am just in the first grade in Aikido and I am still practicing it. I will continue to do so all the rest of my life and leave Aikido as an inheritance for the generations to come."

(translated of course - What is Aikido? 1962).

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #41
thomas_dixon
Location: Florida, USA
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 185
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
This attitude would have certainly stunted the growth of Aikido in it's womb in the early days.

20 - 30 years ago or more there were clubs started by 1st kyus that grew into large organizations (even a couple of cases I know it happening with 5th kyus, a case with a 2nd kyu too). They simply had no other option if they wanted to continue aikido.


I was going to quote something from Tohei Sensei's instruction to instructors from his 1966 book "Aikido in Daily Life" but it's at my office so I will quote Ueshiba Sensei instead,

"Nature is broad and profound. The more you advance, the more you see ahead of you. Aikido is a way without end, harmonious with Nature."

"I am just in the first grade in Aikido and I am still practicing it. I will continue to do so all the rest of my life and leave Aikido as an inheritance for the generations to come."

(translated of course - What is Aikido? 1962).
This attitude is called common sense.

Ueshiba was speaking metaphorically, I'm speaking literally. When you're learning to hurt people, and your teacher doesn't know what he's talking about, someone will get hurt. There is a reason teachers don't just say "Allright you've had a week of lessons go practice on your own now."

Someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be allowed to teach.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:56 AM   #42
eyrie
 
eyrie's Avatar
Location: Summerholm, Queensland
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,126
Australia
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

A 2nd kyu aikidoka started teaching in a small dojo in Turner, Canberra, some 30 years ago. Today, that 2nd kyu is a 6th dan.

If it weren't for that 2nd kyu, the dojo would have never existed, and I would not have found aikido when I did.

Thomas, I think you are being a little too harsh on the man. If it's not the title, it's the fees, not the fees, it's the art, not the art, it's the effectiveness of the art.

Given the man's words and demeanour from his earlier post, I have no doubt he is indeed a great teacher, and the title would be befitting. His fees are reasonable by comparison, as pointed out by various others. Unless you have personally experienced his system, his art and its effectiveness is above reproach.

I don't think it is anyone's place to question what he teaches, how he teaches or whether he knows (or doesn't know) what he's teaching. His students (and their vote) are the judge of that.

Ignatius
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #43
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Team Combat USA
Location: Olympia, Washington
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

I'm studying with a MMA guy right now that has less than 2 years experience total. Just so happens he is "gifted" for whatever reason. Fact remains, he can kick my ass in many ways. Might be youth and conditioning, but also he has the ability to read books, go to a seminar, and watch tapes and absorb this stuff into muscle memory quicker than anyone I know.

Oh yea, he is not ranked, nor has he ever set foot in a traditional dojo. In fact, I had to teach him how to tie his belt the first time we went to a GI competition!

He also has a lot to learn, and I am helping him in the areas that I have skill in.

It sucks to study for many years in a traditional system only to find a young guy that is "gifted". The only lesson I can say is don't pay so much attention to what the sign on the door says or lineage, but more closely to what he can offer you. It is tough to leave the ego at the door, but in the long run you will be better off for it.

my advice, unsolicited as it may be, is to get over it and move on with your training. Until you've been to his dojo and trained you really have no ability to judge him. Just because people don't subscribe to your adopted "culture" within the MA community doesn't mean they are not any good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #44
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be allowed to teach.
Who's to make this determination. In medicine there's the AMA. You want something like this for aikido?

Failing which...?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #45
PeterR
 
PeterR's Avatar
Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Location: Himeji, Japan
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,319
Japan
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Didn't all this start because someone thought a term should exclusively belong to Ueshiba M.?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #46
kironin
 
kironin's Avatar
Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
Location: Houston,TX
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,038
United_States
Offline
Re: "Osensei"

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Ueshiba was speaking metaphorically, I'm speaking literally. When you're learning to hurt people, and your teacher doesn't know what he's talking about, someone will get hurt. There is a reason teachers don't just say "Allright you've had a week of lessons go practice on your own now."

This has happened innumerable times in the martial arts and in Aikido. Many clubs except in certain major cities did not start with some one with high rank. A kyu rank started the club and the dan ranked teacher visited. Many early clubs have that history including the New York Aikikai (pre-Yamada Sensei). As long as someone in that position teaches with humility and openness, I have no problem with it and there is no evidence from Rosen's reply that he is full of himself. One of my teachers who was later a 6th dan started his school in the early 70's when just after being promoted to 1st kyu, the teacher who was a 1st kyu moved out of state. The nearest dan ranked teacher was several states away. If he had followed your advice, the club started by a 2nd kyu a decade later in a city 2 hours away from the first club might never happened and that is the club I started in a decade later. Tohei Sensei tells the story of a 5th kyu starting a club on Guam only after the urging and advice of Tohei Sensei.

Rosen has obviously trained a great deal more than that. If he was the student of someone for 5 years, I have no way of judging the quality and intensity of that training, or his talent at picking things up from a website.

Given Aikido's history, this reaction seems a lot like throwing stones when you own a glass house.

from Aikido Journal articles...

Although the exact truth will perhaps never be known, Morihei would appear to have spent three to four years practicing Daito-ryu under Sokaku in Hokkaido. Two or so of these years included intensive training at the side of the master


Mochizuki began learning Daito-ryu aikijujutsu from Ueshiba a few months before the opening of the Kobukan Dojo in Ushigome in Shinjuku in April 1931. 24 years old at the time, Mochizuki made rapid progress given his broad-based budo experience and innate talent. Ueshiba soon asked him to act as the supervisor of his uchideshi and Mochizuku also served as a teaching assistant. It was even suggested that he marry Ueshiba's daughter thereby becoming his adopted son and successor. Mochizuki declined and, as fate would have it, fell ill shortly thereafter with pleurisy and pulmonary tuberculosis. He was taken back home to Shizuoka City to recover. After a three-month hospital stay, he slowly began to teach in a dojo in the center of town built by his brother and some friends. The official dojo opening was held in November 1931 and many dignitaries from Tokyo including Ueshiba, Admiral Takeshita and a General Miura attended.

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2020 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2020 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate