Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
mixers

~~I'd like to hear from folks who are actively training in Aikido and at least one other MA. Aikido/TaiChi, Aikido/Systema, Aikido/Jujitsu, etc. Around the globe! What are your views of these mixes? How does one affect the other?

Thanks!

~~Paula~~
Old 05-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Aragorn
Dojo: Aikido of Marin
United_States
Re: mixers

Seeing as im not a mixer, i can't really say..... But good question! I 2nd that! i really wonder.....
Regards,
Old 05-07-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Paula,
i'm a mixer (aikido, shaolin) and i think its great. By not commiting urselft to one style u can really learn alot that u never would have thought was there. Aikido is great but other martial arts can be equally as great. i'm a very competetive person and taking shaolin allowed me to see the side of martial arts that is a little more sporting. I have really enjoyed learning more weapon styles and different free hand katas. I recommend u explore other options, it may help u better understand the way aikido works , at least it did for me.
hope this helps
Paige
Old 05-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States

i'm a tripple mixer. Aikido/Kendo/Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido. It's great because things sort of meld into one big style. Example: The teaching of good kokyu is translating in a good solid strike in kendo.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner
Old 05-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Aristeia
New Zealand

Aikido + Bjj here. Have also done some marginal dabbling in judo. I found the judo more difficult to blend in because my aikido training kept getting in the way fo the judo footwork. They are similar enough yet different enough to cause prolems. But it's just a matter of persistance, one of my best nikyu students has stuck at judo long enough that he's starting to get it sussed. BJJ blends in really well - helped by the fact that it's pretty obvious when you're in Aikido land and when you're in BJJ land - although in Aikido I do nowo have to fight the urge to spin to guard when receiving tehniques like ikkyo.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 05-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Aragorn
United_States

What is BJJ? Some sort of martial art i know that....

Regards,
Old 05-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Liam Smith wrote:
What is BJJ?
Try this.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Now,now, its hard to google BJJ....

But the site is funny....

Jeanne
Old 05-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
justinc
Dojo: Enso Center, Redmond
Australia

In order of time training: Hapkido, Aikido, TKD and Tai Chi and train 3-5 hours a day on the mat, not including practice at home (all at the same center). Hapkido is my core martial art to which the others end up complementing. Aikido and Hapkido have a lot of things in common - the throws, locks, pins etc are all pretty much the same, it's just the size of the circle that varies - hapkido has more variations on the techniques, but the principles are the same. TKD adds more work on the kicking and punching into the mix and Tai Chi is great for working on centering and balance.

I quite enjoy the different aspects that each art provides to Martial Arts. Each I train separately (I wear the appropriate gi/dobak and belt for the class I'm attending) but when doing free practice, they all combine together. One time I remember doing some Hapkido practice with my instructor reversing out of a sankyo technique and threw him across the room with a Cannon Forward from Tai Chi (never been able replicate that since! :P ).

Training in multiple arts is not something I would recommend to everyone. I happen to do it because I love it, and can mentally keep each separate - I'm also self employed, which helps to have the time to be able to concentrate on making sure you know the details of each art, and don't just blend them all together into something that is completely ineffective at any of them.

Justin Couch
Student of life.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #10
Aragorn
United_States

Thanks for sending me to that site!!! (jk) i couldn't really google it.....
Old 05-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

First, great link Sean. I train in aikido and capoeira. For those unfamiliar it is a brazilian martial art/game/dance, for more info see Sean's link. I have also dabbled in some judo. I find that training in another art helps me in several ways including bringing new ideas into my aikido/capoeira, helping me to clear my head and focus on something else for a while so I can better understand what I'm trying to figure out in aikido, and cross training helps me to use muscles differently making me more flexible and open to new movement. Its a reciprocal relationship, I use the acrobatics that I learn in capoeira to help with ukemi and use my knowledge of takedowns and throws from aikido in capoeira. And its a ton of fun! Thats the most important.

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 05-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #12
Murgen
United_States

We practice Aikido and Muay Thai in our dojo and I feel it takes atemi to a new level in our class. learning to defend against Muay Thai strikes is great. I feel like I'm learning to defend against real attacks. We also practice the techniques off the traditional Yoko, Shomen, and Munetsuki strikes for the sake of learning.

Knees and Elbows work great in Aikido cause your already so close. Knees are great KI breakers. Muay Thai is also imo more aerobic so it's a better workout for me than Aikido alone. Running out of gas in a fight is bad. Granted, most fights probably will be over in less than a minute. But, what if you need to run away from an attacker!!!?? I see a lot of yudansha that look like they couldn't run more than a block. Call me a coward, but I'll run or give them my wallet before I have to fight. I can run pretty fast And I'll sleep well at night. I had a neighbor gunned down because he refused to give a thug his wallet. Never did catch the guy either.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai

First, Anthony, so sorry about your friend. Those events do seem to shape out forward moving views and choices.

~~My mixers are the ones I mentioned in my thread intro. Tai Chi has been the best for me to understand--in body--sticking, lowering center and spiraling. I still like and use the basic kicks I learned during my TaikwonDo years but prefer Wing Chun atemi because it's mostly circular and close in. The bulk of mixer art I brought to Aikido was from jujitsu--still practice--and I know that my Aikido will never really 'look' or feel like what I see others doing who have practiced only Aikido. I love my jujitsu for its directive that all options are open. Honestly open, unlike the unspoken limits in Aikido. Systema makes me really soften my ukemi and go with the always unexpected attack. Aikido has taught me a deeper understanding of the principles of movement and involvement, taught me maybe more than I wanted to know about myself . So I'm quite the mishmash after 18 years of MA training, I guess. But I'm happy

~~Paula~~
Old 05-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
rogueenergy
Dojo: Aikido of Lincoln
United_States

Aikido and Daitoryu Aiki-Jujitsu here. I've been taking both for 9 months now. Aikido 3-5 days a week and Daitoryu 1 day a week. The biggest difference is that Daitoryu encourages a violent response to an attack to allow the appropriate time and position to apply a technique, where Aikdio encourages movement and the loss of the attackers balance to allow time and postion to apply a technique. Aside from that the arts have A LOT of crossovers. I find myself in Daitoryu class asking myself how does this apply to Aikido. In Aikido I find myself saying there's a technique in Daitoryu that ends this way, only they take it further than it has to be taken to be effective.

There have been many times in Daitoryu that I have been complemented on my movement and control. I can only attribute this to my Aikido training and the wonderfull level of instruction I have received.

But soon, I will most likely be ending my practice of Daitoryu. Just a personal decision largely as a result of the number of injuries sustained while practicing Daitoryu. When compared to my torn toe nail (the worst injury sustained while practicing Aikido) it's made my decision easier.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
Dan Herak
Dojo: Florida Aikikai

From another thread:

Re: Supplementing Aikido with another Budo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have studied multiple martial arts ever since I began aikido 7 years ago. My instructor also teaches taihojutsu, a martial system taught to police in Japan which is a mixture of empty hand martial arts (judo, ju-jutsu and extensive atemi training) and weapon-based martial arts (kendo, jodo, etc.). Not only do I think cross training is good, it would be quite difficult for me to imagine not doing so. The fact of the matter is that no one single martial art is comprehensive. What is striking when you practice several arts, however, is how many people fail to recognize those areas in which their own art has shortcomings.

As one example not involving aikido, karate may teach one to strike effectively but does not teach ukemi very well. When I mentioned this to a karateka, he denied this and described his ukemi "training," which involved being told to tuck your head in and slap. That's right - he was TOLD to do this. From my perspective, his ukemi training was extraordinarily incomplete. But the thing that struck me was that this guy himself genuinely thought it was good.

The same principle applies to aikido. I like aikido as much as the next guy, but there are some blind spots. When I mentioned once that aikido has no free practice comparable to judo or kendo, one person brought up giyu-waza. Sorry, not comparable. Aikidoka point to suwari-waza when the issue of ground work comes up. Yet aikido's ground work is simply nowhere near as comprehensive as judo's.

Don't get me wrong. Aikido has serious strengths that these other arts are missing. Yet the issue goes both ways. Cross training is a good way to recognize this and address this depending on what other art you take.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Iaido

I have practiced the sword art iaido, parallell to aikido, almost since the beginning. I am not sure if it really counts, though, since it was for my aikido teacher at the time. Later, I practiced Nishio sensei's iai, aikido toho, which is quite close to aikido, as its name implies.

I have done some Seitei iai, too, and that's quite far from aikido in many ways.

Well, summing it up, I find that iaido helps sort of sharpening my aikido. Also, it gives an understanding of the sword art setting, out of which aikido was developed. Certainly, my own aikido would look very different without the iaido experience - also my aikiken, of course.

I was fortunate to start aikido in a budo club, which had several other martial arts. We had a lot of exchange of experiences, helping much in understanding and respecting each other's art. One surely learns to be a better uke, if trying some sword art, karatedo, judo, et cetera.

Nevertheless, I would say this: For the beginner it is best to start with one art only, and get into it, before trying other martial arts. Otherwise, there is a risk of not being grounded in any one of them.
How long to wait, in that case? A year, or the symbolic three years? I don't know. Long enough to feel what is one's primary art, I guess.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.