Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-25-2005, 01:22 PM   #26
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Family Affair?

I wish I could get my whole family on the mat. I'm the middle-toe of 7 kids, and we grew up wrangling one another. To be able to train with someone whose strengths and limitations you know very nearly as well as your own would be fantastic for my training.

I'll echo the sentiments on both CRASH and TESTING!

michael.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #27
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

My wife came to my 2nd or 3rd ever class; back in the day when neither of us had a gi, and the club only had blue foam wrestling mats. She started a couple of years back and has been hooked ever since. She's on a bit of a break with our 1 year old, but is itching to get back.

As her (and most everyone else in the club)'s senior, it sometimes got sticky when I tried to teach her particular things; I was either being too vague or too direct, or demanding too much, not to mention the whole spouse angle. Here's a hint (mate or no) for everyone; not everyone learns the same way, and some people you just can't teach. And that's fine.

Others are already asking when my boy is going to start. Good thing our club has a minimum age of 16!

Old 04-26-2005, 12:46 AM   #28
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

I started aikido a couple of months after my husband, and I can only recommend it to any other couple - it is soo much cheaper than partner therapy
Seriously, we work great together on the mat (umm..., off the mat as well, of course ), and we will be each otherīs uke at our shodan tests later this year. It is great to share that.
OTOH, I also know couples that donīt like to practice with each other, but in most of their cases one of them is much further advanced and the other one feels patronized by them
Old 04-26-2005, 07:34 AM   #29
bbleeker

Netherlands

I really like training with my husband; our main problem is that we're both a bit shy, so we tend to end up training with each other a little too often. (Especially when we're tired, or when I don't 'get' a technique.)

Berna Bleeker
Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #30
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center

I started Aikido because my two sons started. That was 5 + years ago. It was weird having the older one (now 17) get bigger than me. The younger guy (12) throws like the dickens, look out when he "out grows" me!
Lots of families train together here. 3 families can fill up a whole mat!

Melissa Fischer
www.tenzanaikido.com

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches