View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #144
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Can we see that aikido is all over the place in MMA?

was going to stay out of this but the dark side is too strong and it pulled me in.

most folks don't care about what you know or your explanation of aikido or martial arts, until you shown them that you care about them and their thoughts and activities. so my conversation with folks depend on who they are and what they know. i would categorize my approach depending on the audience. sort of adapt to the situation instead of forcing the situation to fit my needs. isn't that one of the aikido principles? so my categorization,

Folks who do activities but know nothing about martial arts
{
- talk to them about their activities
- ask questions about their activities
- shown interest in their activities
- if they ask what you do, just mention that you do martial arts. don't even mention the name aikido. and steer the conversation back to their activities or discuss other subjects, any other subjects other than martial arts: for example, why pole dancing is a fitness craze?
}

Folks who practice some sort of martial arts that's not aikido
{
- same treatment as the folks who don't and know nothing about martial arts
- but talk about their martial arts practice instead
- asking questions about their practice, but stay away from saying things like "<insert name martial arts> sucks!" or "we do it this way in aikido" or "aikido does it better". because they might smile and be all polite, but thinking "who the f**k care of what you think". or they just knock your light out. either case, it's bad manner at party.
- try to keep the conversation away from aikido
- again care about what they do
}

Folks who really curious about aikido
{
- could be the same folks above where they kept asking about aikido
- remember this quote "tell me and i forget. show me and i remember. involve me and i understand"
- you ask them if they have comfortable exercise clothes other the one they use for pole dancing. and whether they available during one of the practice time of your dojo. ask them to come and "involve" them so understanding can show up and party.
}

Folks who already practices aikido
{
- no explanation or definition is necessary or in some case, could never satisfy with any explanation or definition
- actually, one should stay away from other aikido folks lest you create high gravitational field like black holes. and we all know what black hole does, which is opposite of asshole.
}

Folks who practices MMA
{
- pick fight with them just for fun and entertainment. don't forget to have your buddy video it and post on youtube for fun and entertainment. look for quick exit before challenge them.
- ask them how do they keep from getting an erection when pulling guards or in mount position? and don't forget to look for quick exit before asking such question.
- ask them if they train with steven seagal. if they say "no", then tell them that they don't know MMA at all. don't forget to look for quick exit before asking such question.
}

personally, i think we should ditch the name aikido and go with "phido", the way of phi. and for easy 10 payments of $9.99 (gazillion euros for you folks over there somewhere) i will give the concise definition of phido.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org