Thread: Shirata Rinjiro
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Shirata Rinjiro

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
In the recent training thread Shirata sensei was mentioned, and being that he's one of those guys who has always stood out to me, I decided to do some reading to refresh my memory. I found this very nice bit of reading on Aikido Journal and thought I'd share.

There are some very interesting things touched on by Nidai Doshu and the part by Seibi Yonekawa somehow got some dust in my eye.

I've also started rereading Aikido: Way of Harmony, by Stevens under the direction of Shirata Rinjiro. I remember really liking it before, so it will be interesting to look at it anew; a bit further down the line, as it were.
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for posting this. I remember reading this the first time and being blown away. If one reads Nidai Doshu's words "Japanese Style" where the explicit text points to the, more significant *implied* message, what he wrote is (still) pretty astounding. What he wrote was significant either way, but the implication is what floored me. Not that it was news to anyone close to Shirata sensei, rather that Nidai Doshu stated it so clearly. It is probably cheeky for me to say so but, I gained a whole new level of appreciation for both men.

Yonekawa's words are, of course, very touching.

I keep this posted on the dojo bulletin board, so that I can stop and read it regularly. It is a nice reminder.

Once again, thanks!

Allen

I have this pinned next to the article as well BTW:

Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.

William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar", Act 2 scene 2
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

~ Allen Beebe