View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
brUNO

Dojo: Jita Kyoei Dojo/Dallas, Texas
United_States
Re: Did O-Sensei Misinterpret the Meaning of "Budo"?

Budo is Love, God is Love; therefore God is Budo (or vise-versa)? Sorry, I guess not all of mathematics' formulas work in Budo.

I have posted this before... ( and because no one contradicted it and I would like to know either way if this is true or not) so I'll post it again.

To the best of my limited understanding, Aikido was founded officially in circa 1942. It is a modern Budo distilled from ancient sword schools. Post-war Japan was not allowed to openly practice weapon-based/violent martial arts. Many schools were banned and some Ryu retreated into secret practice in the mountains or monasteries. Aikido was one of the few Budo that was allowed to continue openly. I think this was because the kanji was conveniently translated as "The way of Peace and Harmony" and because of statements like "Budo is Love". These were convenient translations, but that doesn't mean they are not still true.

If there are scholars/historians here that can deny/confirm this I would love to hear from you!!!
[I have it in my notes but not sure where the source lies. I think (not sure) I got some of this history from Pascal Krieger, Sensei's book on "Jodo, The way of the stick" (I no longer have the book, just notes I took from it). He gave a lot of history of Budo in that book, but the stuff about Aikido practice in post-WWII Japan was from a seminar I attended on Aikido.]

I have heard other paradoxical sayings like, "the cut that saves lives" and "the killing mind" that don't necessarily have violent or "killing" attributes. I don't think these were from O'sensei, but they are from Budo. Aikido was derived from sword-based arts yet we don't do the techniques with swords but by following the same principles with our bodies. The fact that we cut with our spirit/mind/body and not a sword, could be ..."Love". (?)

I agree with some of the posts above that as foreigners to Japanese culture we miss a lot in the translation/interpretation. John Stevens, D. Draeger and Pascal Krieger were just a few men that immersed themselves in the Japanese culture and have a better understanding than we "gaijin". I saw that Prof. Goldbury had posted so that's why I came to this thread, I was hoping he had shed some light on the matter. So, would you please, sensei?

Onegaisumasu.

Last edited by brUNO : 06-05-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: clarification

Bruno
"A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability. He's about absolute vulnerability."
- Socrates