View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #59
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Effective udekimenage against resistance

Quote:
Reuben Yap wrote: View Post
Thanks Joe! Your replies are very insightful and I was hoping I could trouble you with a few more to clarify some things.

I know we can't apply udekimenage in certain situations and these situations often change.

I guess this question is divided into three parts (sorry couldn't be more concise).

Question 1: My question is in what ideal but plausible situation can we apply udekimenage relating to the entry and control?

I am assuming this is from a cross which is closest to how we practice tsuki since a jab is in most cases non-commital and fast. My aiki-solution to jabs is just to parry, or to maintain ma-ai

Would I need to move my body and establish control of the hand before he pulls back his punching arm? I feel that this is only possible if the punch itself is not balanced and slow in retracting or nage has already anticipated the cross.

One of the difficulties is that although there are I times where my timing is good and I can indeed cut the hand before it retracts but the moment he feels the grip, there's an instinct for uke to pull back the hand rather than to overextend it. This happens VERY fast often unconsciously by uke.

Is udekimenage then not the right technique to do and it's better to just do an irimi throw and something else that appears more natural? If so then udekimenage has some use albeit a rather limited role (where a punch is unbalanced and the uke is slow in pulling back).

Question 2: In facing an assailant who does not attack in one swift attack but rather squares off to you before teeing off, what is a valid Aiki strategy?

How I view Aikido against such an assailant is that I should evade or parry (or in Aiki terms, redirect) the the non committal or setup attacks (for e.g. jabs), perhaps throwing in some atemi to create attempts to move in or break the opponent's rhythm and once he does indeed overextend himself then it's time to spring into action (which was my approach in the video).

I understand Aikido is not to be seen as a sparring art, but not all self defense situations are one where the uke is enraged and charging you and throwing wild punches. There are some who may have a little experience in punching and know better than to open with a huge single attack unless it's a sucker punch (I think anyone who has brawled before will know this).

Question 3:The throw itself is actually therefore a direct attack on the elbow joint rather than a true 'throw'?

I often get the stumble forward reaction even when I apply with a deep entering and projection down and forward. Uke says he feels the projection and the power of the projection but feels he can still remain standing.

Is therefore the only way for this to be applied is a very direct attack on the joint and if he resists he then breaks his elbow? (assuming this is not training). Does the leg position of nage have anything to do with assisting with the throw? (see my first post where I ask whether we should use our front leg to act as a sort of a 'trip'.
Dear Rueben,
To make a stab at your question[not in numerical order]
Question Two;
If the opponent just squares up and does not launch an attack -do nothing.Keep calm /alert and respond to his movement
as and when he launches the attack.If you see a gap in Ukes
armour, do whatever it takes to exploit this gap.Aikido waza can be anything you choose to use.
Question Three
Ideally the whole body is involved in Aikido, be it throwing /pinning waza.Ude kime Nage because there is a potential to
damage the elbow joint, if it is required to take extreme measures so be it.
QuestionOne,
You have to assess the situation.It depends on the speed /angle and trajectory of the punch.If Uke is powerful, neutralises him by absorbing the attack [draw him out [Ushiro Tenkan -then enter and complete Ude Kime Nage ].If attack is not too positive ,
enter in direct[as I indicated last blog ]and throw the guy.
Basically you have two options 1.You either shorten the distance between you both .2. You make the partner overextend
his reach.As one of our other contributors stated Ukes actions determines your responses.
Cheers Joe.