View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
sutemaker17

Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States
Smile Re: To Kill or Not to Kill

Steve,
Maybe I am talking out of turn because I have never had to kill anyone. However, growing up very close to New Orleans I have been in several situations that could have cost me my life. Consequently, I have thought about this subject a great deal and also spoken to many people who have had to kill other human beings to survive and I believe there are circumstances that justify the decision of one person to end the life of another.

The psycology involved in killing is another subject but worth a look. Most of the books that I have read on the subject suggest that men are intrinsically opposed to killing their own kind which would appear, to some, to reinforce the argument that it can never be justifiable under any circumstances. In any event, you might check out the book "On Killing". I think the authors name is Col. Dave Grossman(not sure) but I think I loaned the book out and didn't get it back as I haven't seen it in quite a while.

I would also like to add some thoughts from a conversation I had with one of the aforementioned individuals who have had some real experience with this sort of thing. "Many people see a problem with killing because they have associated the word with violence. It is true that some death is voilent but it is a mistake to deem all killing as violent. In order to understand that sometimes killing is necessary we must be able to look at it without that emotional weight. It is possible to kill someone with out judgement or malice or anger." I believe these statements to be true. I have, on more than one occasion, had to use a gun to protect myself. Thankfully, I have never had to press the trigger as the mere threat of being shot was enough to save my stuffing, but I can tell you this: you are not pondering whether or not its OK to kill somebody at the moment of truth. I know I wasn't. You will be extremely focused on the moment and doing everything you can to make sure you wake up tomorrow!

As always just my thoughts...I could be wrong.

Jason