View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
RED
United_States
Re: Why fight? Just Finish.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Curtis wrote:

What I mean by enter, enter, enter is that you keep following through. I see many students, say in iriminage, enter initially then fail to continue to enter and close down the space. They enter, then as soon as proprioceptive contact is made the stop entering then the begin to try and manipulate uke, or the simply exit because they feel they have hit a wall and that they should not continue in..so they back out and proceed to enter again or choose a different angle rather than continuing along the same irimi but changing it slightly to move around the road block.

I trained with some one(they were either higher ranked than me, or equal, not sure.) very recently where in iriminage they would constantly throw themselves straight down before I stepped through. They seemed annoyed by my follow through. They kept trying to block my bicep, because the first time I thew them they were hit across the chin with my shoulder/bicep. Like they didn't expect it.
And when they threw me, I would be sitting arched back, trying to be a polite uke to this person, just sort of waiting for them to follow through...they never did. I think they expected me to fall straight down without their commitment to the throw; sort of like they were doing to me.

I'm not like an Aikido master by any means here, but I do have an opinion about intent when training. I think that follow through is key. If you expect some one to just fall with out your commitment to the technique...it won't happen.

My Sensei said something important to me yesterday: "If you baby your uke forever you'll never get great at this."

MM