View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #24
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Is this Yokomenuchi?

Chris:

I am certainly not implying that one style of yokomenuchi is more martial than another. I have even had punches attempt to make contact with my head that came in the form of a yokomenuchi (and a lot of other trajectories as well...). I view this strike like a lot of other attacks that we practice, and that is as a stylized means of developing the capacity to apply Aikido regardless of the form of the attack.

Ricky:

You are absolutely correct. I hope that my students understand why I emphasize the importance of shaping the attack as the grab is taking place. That goes to a more important aspect, which is situational awareness. Becoming aware as contact is being made is not a good starting place. Certainly the static grab practice is an important starting point. Women and children are more likely to be grabbed on the wrist. This is typically a prelude to something a lot worse. If the grab is being shaped as it is happening, the likelihood of successfully escaping from that situation (or generously applying a good dose of hurt) increases.

marc abrams