View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 10:35 PM   #30
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Osu!

Quote:
Eric Simmons wrote:
I don't see the need to throw in an "osu". If someone takes a hard spill during a demonstration or test, I find the use of the word "osu" (among other things, such as laughter) to be distasteful and a sign of impulsivity.
This seems strange to me and I come from a training background where saying "Osu" appropriately was an active part of our study/training.

There are definately certain places where saying "Osu" is inappropriate, however there are also situations where saying "Osu" is pretty much required. A beginning "Osu-er" often gets this wrong by "Osu-ing" far too much. I remember it being kind of funny to listen to new senshusei "Osu" out of context...of course we would have to correct them and they would get better at it.

It sounds to me that the dojo you train at doesn't quite have it, yet...and this is unfortunate. It is a good tool and does focus attention in many different situations. However, if it is appears to you as an "Osu Bandwagon" then it probably is being inappropriately used and as I said, saying it when getting thrown hard is just weird.

On a personal note, I originaly prefered "Osu" to "Hai" because where I grew up, the word "Hai" meant "What?" as in "What did you say?". This was very confusing when I started to speak Japanese since I kept saying "Hai" and thinking "I am saying 'yes' not 'what did you just say'". I don't have that problem now, though But I still say "Osu".

FYI...the first language was Inuktutut

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs