View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #37
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Freeform Bokken Drills to Develop Aiki Flow

I have to admit that I am a bit saddened by your statement, Mr. Sigman, regarding Robert Smith. It seems that there is just "No Country for Old Men"... especially the pioneers that opened the world of Asian martial arts that you now benefit from.

In McMurtry's Book, "Streets of Laredo", I believe, Captain Call meets the new generation of Texans who did not know him and had no idea what the Comanche wars were like.

Then I remembered arguing with Doo Wai about how he defined things in contrast to Mantak Chia. After all I had paid good money to train with both of these guys. Why couldn't they use common terms? Why is it Noi Gung in Hung's world and Nei Gung in another? Why is Jing called Ging in two different writings by two different masters? Why did the microcosmic orbit mean nothing to tai Chi Master Liang? Why did one guy insist that I tie weights to my scrotum and breate where the other guy said meditation can benefit better? Why did Doo use P-rock suspended in a net while Hsiu and Hung used a bathtub filled with water and a cinder block with a wet towel over it?

Doo Wai told me not to chase the Chi. I would not listen. Mike Patterson Sr. told me the same thing. I was lucky to train with him (and his son) since he had lived in Taiwan and trained with Hsiu Hong Chi for 10 years while building bridges there. I did not listen.

Old Man Liang in San Diego said the same thing when he taught us Tai Chi in the park. William Chen also said it when I asked him a form of the same question in New York in 1990.

None of them would define Chi for me. They called it "intrinsic energy", "life force". Nevertheless, all of them, including Robert Smith could do things that defied the average martial artist's expression of power.

I must have really tried their patience. I chased chi for about 10 years. In that time, 1970-1980, I never saw a good definition of Chi from these guys. But I did learn how to develop the power.... Not from dissecting and defining chi, rather from employing good body mechanics.

Well, I left out a key factor in my explanation of body mechanics my last post. I did it on purpose. The question I offer you is, "What mechanical function causes someone to get uprooted"? "Can it be done without touch?" "Can it be done with little force when you do touch?"

So if you two guys can define chi so concretely, please now offer me something allot more concrete. Explain how the uproot occurs.
Or better still, show me a video of it and support it with your explanation.

Mr. Sigman, we have not seen you move. Would you take on this challenge and enlighten this old man?

"The Tao that can be defined is no longer the Tao."