View Single Post
Old 11-02-2003, 12:15 PM   #16
Hanna B
Sweden
Quote:
Don J. Modesto (Don_Modesto) wrote:
I think you mean KOKYU "NAGE" here and not "KOKYU HO".
In my vocabulary, no.
Quote:
My take is that KOKYU NAGE is a generic term for techniques depending very much on hip work. There's an elbow arm bar throw which I've also seen called KOKYU NAGE, e.g.
In my vocabulary, all kokyo nage ends up with uke doing a forward roll. Kokyo ho/sokumen iriminage makes uke fall/roll backwards. The elbow bar you are talking about might be what I call udekimenage. Sumi otoshi is another of these kokyonage, who some people has a specific name for while others just say kokyo nage.
Quote:
SOKUMEN IRIMI NAGE is one organizations term for one version of KOKYU NAGE. YMMV.
I do not say that you are wrong! Aikido vocabulary can be quite different in different schools. At secont thought, it seems that in my surroundings people refer to the technique done the way Endo sensei does it 'kokyo ho' and the way Christian Tissier does it 'sokumen irimi nage'. I think the reason simply is that these teachers use different names of this technique.

I used to be convinced that 'sokumen iriminage' was a newer term, and 'kokyo ho' the original. I got very sourprised when I browsed through one of o-sensei's books, seeing the techninque named 'sokumen iriminage'.

Last edited by Hanna B : 11-02-2003 at 12:20 PM.