View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
Tubig
Australia
Re: Aikido vs. Escrima/Kali

Boxing wise. Escrima or Kali will win. It is called Mano Mano. The idea of escrima is you train with weapons both hands with either kali (Sticks) or Gulok (machette), the better one gets the shorter the weapon gets, until it becomes a Patalim (dagger length) and balisong (butterfly knives). Hence by the time the 'Escrimador' will get to empty hand they are very good, very fast, and overwhelming. Not really a good idea for static aikido. Aikidoka has to move with escrimador.

We have practiced with boken and Jo against Kali. Boken wise or aikiken wise it is pretty even. I find it hard that I commit to cut or tsuki with either yokomen or shomen, and the escrimador was just feinting. A lot Ai utch (mutual kill) though, and sore foreheads if trained with speed. There is a strong wood almost mystical to the point of legendary called kamagong. The Filipinos used to support train tracks with it, and apparently if one throws it in water, it sinks. Very strong, it can actually take on a boken with weight of the cuts. When the escrimador uses walong palo (eight cuts) it will rain hits, very quick very hard to block with a boken. I tcan even break a good boken if the kamagong is used. However if aikidoka uses a katana it will be different story. Then again the escrimador can shift to the Gulok, and it could get even again.

With the Jo, escrimador lost. I broke my set of Kalis. Very expensive mistake. I had to wait til my next trip to the Phils to get new ones.
Escrimadors cannot dodge or block Toma huch, and we sent kalis flying with normal jo blocks. The length aspect is a winner. The escrimador found it hard to enter.

Taijutsu aikidoka wins, especially the grappling aspect of it. our ikyo, nikyo, and sankyo is just too irresistable. Escrimadors have a karate and judo version of grappling. Our aikido grappling is just beautifully genuine and effective.

just my two cents

Last edited by Tubig : 07-13-2005 at 05:36 PM.