View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #175
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Why do you perceive "internal" superior to athleticism?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
You could also argue that description of riding a bike are ridiculous and you really...want to figure out how to do it by reading about it on the net. Sooner or later someone is going to say "Hey Chris, go sit on a bike and make it move."
But the thing is, I can see people riding bikes. I can't see any internal people doing anything that I don't understand.

Quote:
Eliminating martial techniques, there are any number of power out examples that have been offered. I do a push-out drill where they are in hanmi or any other position they want to be in with their arms straight out. I stand in a highly compromised straight leg, straight arm stance, with my arms out toward them palms to palms. They try to push and walk. I stand there, they feel like it is pushing on a wall. I then wiggle and turn to jello and they still cannot move forward.
Where is the athleticism in what I am doing?
What conditioning is doing that?
Again Dan, this is simply a description. I can think of any number of ways to do this. I have been practicing stage magic since I was a small child. I know quite a bit about the art. It is rare that I see something that I do not understand. But if you were to simply say, "This guy had a quarter, then it disappeared, how do you explain that." I can't , because I didn't see it, I don't know the context that this is happening in. Can I think of ways to do it, yes, but those would be pure speculation until I saw it.

Quote:
Er...because I'm not interested in doing so.
It would also "help so much" if you met Ark, Mike or me.
Cheers
Dan
This is fine, but don't compare taking 10 minutes out of your day to make a video to support your statements, to me paying several hundred dollars, and many hours of travel, to do something that I don't believe is worth my time.