View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #119
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ueshiba taking Ukemi

BTW, Dan, I'm more of a mind to suggest that Ueshiba got some of his stuff from Takeda, but got the hints on the softer direction from somewhere else. I.e., the Takeda source is there, but Ueshiba's filmed actions suggest to me that he was doing a different approach than Sagawa, etc. It's the old "Shaolin" versus "Taoist" argument. The tension approach, even though it also has six-directions, etc., is more of a Buddhist approach. The very soft approach is quite different. Think of it as the difference between what you practice and the general approach of the Ki-Society. The Ki-Society approach almost undoubtedly reflects the approach Ueshiba used, while your general approach is the other side of the same animal.

Using that perspective, you'll remember that I said something in prior months about Ushiro and others using approaches that, while containing basic ki/kokyu skills, are probably not the same methods that Ueshiba use.

Hence, my lack of enthusiasm about the "Ueshiba got everything he knew from Takeda" theory.

My opinion, FWIW.

Mike