View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Assessing "IP/IT/IS" via video

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Folks
Once starting down this road how long will it be before there will be any number of threads analyzing this teacher or that one. This is a path with many places to stubble and openings for the angry defense of individual teachers. ….it will end badly.
On the other hand, if analyses are kept to the clinical, it's probably OK. The part I disagree with is that everyone in, say, Aikido, Taiji, Xingyi, Karate, pretends that all teachers' stuff is legitimate when more experienced people know that a lot of a given teacher's stuff is not correct. When you deliberately go along with the pretense and diplomacy, you save the teacher's "face", but you basically consign the students and followers of that teacher to a bad place.

I've never forgotten one guy I worked with in New Hampshire once and he was a bright, 50-plus year-old guy. He caught the inferences of everything immediately. When we talked after the workshop I asked him what he was planning to do (in terms of training, based on the look at internal strength). He said he was just going to quit... he felt his teacher has taken his money and time and loyalty for so long that now he didn't have a chance to get things, this late in life. While I sympathize with "teachers", I also think that students are people worth worrying about, too. Clinical evaluations of internal strength demonstrations are fair, IMO, as long as the issue is kept clinical.

2 cents.

Mike Sigman