View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #62
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Any instructors here ever challenged?

Mark, I wouldn't make the statement that Dan made if for no other reason it opens you up for arguments!

What I would say though is that Aikidoka do not have the corner on this market either.

I try hard not to be judgemental because you don't know the scenario, but I do say I am suprised that there are not more stories here about how a guy came into the school trolling for a fight, and the instructor used words, talked to the guy, tried to gain an appreciation and understanding of why he felt the need to fight him, and adapted his strategy for engagement this way.

Now it may be that the guy simply is being absurd and is not genuine about the reasons for his challenge. I'd let him go on his way without the challenge. I think my students would certainly see that I was skillful in aikido if I attempted to constructively engage him and turn the situation into a positive matter.

Going from zero to "Fight" in a few minutes, to me, shows a tremendous lack of skill and personally i'd be very disappointed and let down by my instructor.

I'd be more impressed seeing this guy skillfully taken through the process or having the police called to remove him from the premises.

I have no problems with challenges, as I stated earlier in this post I have challenged every single one of my instructors, albeit in a postive, sincere, and constructive manner. I have also accepted challenges again, postive and constructive.

In all cases my challenges took place over months with dialogue and situations, not a "one fight" to see who wins!

I'd say in most instances if an instructor were to stop class and accept a "5 minute" challenge shows a tremendous lack of skill in conflict resolution. At that point it is more about the ego than anything else.

Some of us preach that aikido is special because it somehow is able to show a better way to resolve conflict through blending and redirecting, then we have instructors who show us the exact opposite and take on a challenge like any other proclaimed martial artist? Doesn't make sense to me!

I'm betting this is what Dan is getting at.