Thread: UNIFORM
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Smile Re: UNIFORM

I want my gi's to be CLEAN and DRY -- no funky bacteria is gonna take root in MY gi's. Been doing it this way for 20 years, and have currently 3 different pairs of pants and 7 tops to show for it*.

Here's my rules for gi maintenance for sweaty aikidoka:

1) Always wash and dry gi's in HOT using normal detergent and use the dryer and dryer-sheets (if you're not allergic) to roast 'em until they're warm and soft. (Happiness is a dryer-warmed gi on a cold day.)
2) Gi's shrink -- so buy a larger size. And always wash it before you wear it for the first time. (Some shrink more than others - so, ask around.)
3) Avoid bleach -- I've shredded a few gi's early on, they virtually fell apart on the mat after a few bleach/hot-water washings.
4) Use at least one clean gi jacket per day, if possible -- let the sweat dry in them and reuse them in emergencies ONLY, please. Recycling the gi pants is usually OK - they don't get as wet and sweaty. Bring a spare jacket to seminars, please.
5) * If the knees shred - It's OK to turn them around as an emergency fix (not a permanent one). Knee-walking is hell on pants, and patching the knees is more work than it's worth -- as you usually end up with uncomfortable shreds and bits under the patch that makes for uneven pressure points on the knee. Buy another gi, and you'll have a spare jacket to swap out on a really active day. Or buy a set of Bujin pants - virtually canvas, the knees wear like iron.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"