View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #9
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Is aikido a budo?

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Interesting. In what way would one be incapable of following the path of budo?
That's up the individual. I cannot imagine something that would stop me from practicing, even if I end up like my father (a quadrapalegic caused by a chronic illness we share). I think people are almost always capable of far more than they themselves believe, but it is entirely up to them to make the decision.

I recently had a prospective student (with past experience in the Yoshinkan lineage) decide after the first practice that he wasn't capable of the ukemi necessary to practice, even after I discussed the issue with him. His call.

I've also asked people to leave the mat because of their behavior (again, a choice) on more than one occasion. In some cases this involved drug use, in all cases it had to do with safety or inappropriateness. Some were allowed back, some were not. I don't think I need to go on.

But why would Yamada sensei himself (and he's not the first shihan by any means) say such a thing? Some shihan even dedicated their practice and leadership to "fixing" this issue, if it even needs fixing.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."