View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #20
robertle
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

Hi everyone,

I do go to a karate class once a week, and it is a small club which has primarily "mixed" classes, which means I train together with kids from 7 years up.

I am truly amazed about the level of instruction for kids in these classes, because it's not about brawling at all. For them the main thing there is attention span, self discipline, and asserting themselves in a controlled and calm fashion, even if the opponent/partner is 5 times their age and 4 times their weight. Not to mention getting through the stress of the gradings with a straight face and a (although often quite clearly forced ;-) smile on their face.

So I think in a club like that what they learn is very valuable, and there is no danger that they develop into the bullies you want to protect them from, at least not any more than with any other sport or activity. I would be the happiest person if my kid decides to go to a club like that!

The other concerns about physical health in the long run also don't seem to be a problem there, the instruction is very technical and puts a great emphasis on correct movement. It isn't competition-oriented karate though, I could imagine that it would be slightly different in a "sport" scenario where by definition you trade long-term health for short-term gains.

So all in all, and as usual: I don't think it's the art that matters, but the specific club you send your kids to. I bet there are fantastic judo clubs as well. And one thing that has to be said for judo: you can always start doing karate when you are older, judo really isn't so much fun to start when your healing powers have already faded a bit ;-)

regards robert