View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: The techniques of Budo Renshuu #50-60

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
After watching a bunch of DR vids on Youtube it looks to me that those things are incidental to particular techniques whereas Ueshiba seems to have placed greater emphasis on them in his overall approach.
I think that it's very chancey to conclude that from watching a bunch of videos on the internet.

Quote:
"Away" as in a departure from the rigid formalism present in DR form and presentation. "Away" as in the elimination of the coup de gras blow that punctuates the end of most DR techniques.
Some DR schools emphasize the finishing blow, some not at much. FWIW - Ueshiba taught the finishing blow after the war as well, I've seen it in a number of the post-war students. In any case, it's hardly a critical basic element of the base technical method.

Like anything else, DR schools vary in formality. My experience was that Iwama is very similar to the main line of DR in terms of "formality" in general practice.

Quote:

Just the way it looks, especially against shomen and yokomen attacks. Ueshiba displays very little of the abrupt stoppage of uke's motion in his technique that is apparent in a lot of the DR stuff I've watched. Ueshiba grants his ukes far more freedom of motion.
Of course, Saito used to state repeatedly that Ueshiba changed things for the camera. That aside, I think that this would be a difficult call to make based on some YouTube clips without some actual experience of Daito-ryu.

Best,

Chris