Thread: Fear of Ukemi
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #43
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Fear of Ukemi

I was just reading around in the threads, when.... oh no this sounds way too familiar.... so I signed in, success after two tries. Then I got my reading glasses off the table...

Sounds like what happened to me many many years ago. I had been sent home to Connecticut after a scary ukemi from shiho nage koshi nage or something like that. My knee had some black and maybe green and purple ... I can't remember..

(My ukemi was never that great anyway...) Then I came back after maybe a couple of weeks and some friends from the dojo were having a party. I was dancing, you know with people at some distance sixties style and knees were bending except mine swelled up maybe like a baseball...

May not be the same as yours but here's what happened. I went to Doc Meyers, one of the old timers a brown belt at the time, on Woodhaven Boulevard accessible by subway and bus. He waved the syringe which was half clear and half a darkish pink..." Hey nurse look what I got out of Daian's knee...."

Then he told me if I had waited much longer after it swelled up they would have had to take the knee cap off and scrape it.

Well, Doc Meyers was famous for a sense of humor, but with things like that you don't take chances.

Hopefully you will be okay after treatment. I was, that was the late sixties and I trained actively until the mid eighties.