View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #50
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Kata Training and Aikido

I think we all agree that 100% resistance cannot work, and 100% non-resistance cannot work. Are we just finding new ways to say that? If so, let's move on unless someone thinks the absolute ends of the spectrum are the only correct way.

I believe that all kata is supposed to evolve into live understanding. I think "dead kata" is pretty much missing the point no matter what system you are in.

Where I see kata as pretty good is if you are teaching 60 people something new and a bit dangerous - especially weapons, you can't show them all a few moves and then say go for it! 2 people would die, 12 people would be seriously injured, etc... So you make kata, get everyone _basically_ on the same page, and go around to the majority of the sempai and get their kata to be more alive and let the trickle down thing happen as you change partners.

I don't know the shu ha ri thing that well. I think I'm just starting to really get into the ha level, and I really have no idea what I'm in for in the ri level. So I guess I'll comment about it further when I know what I'm talking about... As I see it, you know in basketball when you play HORSE (or PIG) and someone makes a crazy shot, and then you have to make the same shot or you get a letter. I'm starting to feel that way about most aikido seminars. I kind of feel like the teacher does some technique (regardless of what style of aikido) and I just try to copy them. If we were playing HORSE I think I would win many games. But, just like someone who could win every game of HORSE and still not be a great basketball player (although probably a good shot maker when there is no one between them and the net) I kind of feel the same way about aikido. I think I have a lot of skills to actually put together and relatively few seminars that I've ever been to work on that part. I suppose it's up to the individual to come up with the next level of drills and get even much more alive training, but it would be nice to see a developed system for that out specifically coming from a hombu style background.

Rob