View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 07:56 AM   #49
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Kata Training and Aikido

Quote:
Jorgen Matsi wrote:
Simply because there are better methods. (If the goal of course is practical fighting ability ...
Agreed. For the scant few people who really, truly, need to learn practical close quarters combatives, yes, there are better and faster methods.

However, we're talking about aikido, yes?

Quote:
is that it will take people in 3 months more far in their understanding AND ability than "traditional" training in years.
Depends on what the 'goal' is and what abilities and understanding they are seeking. I've been doing budo and other martial sports (was doing MMA before it was called that, BTW) for 30+ years, and spent quite a bit of time haring off after some wondrous combat effectiveness.

Probably found it (I've survived a misspent youth, stints as cop and soldier, and some 48 years of living in total, at any rate), but also learned that practical ability in real combatives can be attained more easily through non-traditional methods (though when you do that, you aren't doing budo), and that diligent, dedicated training IN trad. budo can provide internal AND external understandings and abilities that quick and dirty CQB training cannot.

As I said, it all depends on what you want. If you want CQB, trad. budo's not the place to look.

Chuck