View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #19
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Aikido and the Structure of the Universe - Ichirei Shikon Sangen Hachiriki

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
In the dissertation of Margaret Greenhalgh: "Aikido and Spirituality: Japanese Religious Influences in a Martial Art" she states a direct connection Daoism and Ômoto kyo because of Ushitora no Konjin being of daoist origin.
(I can't give the page from here. It's in at the beginning of the chapter about the daoist influences on aikidô.)

I can't value this.
But the parts of this work, which I can judge seem to be build on profound research.
Hello Carsten,

I have mixed feelings about Margaret Greenhalgh’s book. The way she cites some Japanese works, both in the text and in the bibliography, is sometimes very odd and offers evidence that she has not used the Japanese originals. For example, on p. 9 we find this statement: “A more comprehensive presentation [sc. of Morihei Ueshiba’s thought] is given in the four lectures published in 1986 as Takemusu Aiki and in The Secret Teachings of Aikido.” She gives a footnote with the Japanese details of Takemusu Aiki, but should then be aware that this book contains much more than ‘four lectures’. There is no mention at all of Aiki Shinzui, of which The Secret Teachings is a translation. The fact that she seems to be relying on translations that are plausibly quite dubious suggests that she has not considered this possibility--that much of what has come down as Morihei Ueshiba's thought has not been presented accurately.

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 03-28-2012 at 06:14 AM.

P A Goldsbury