View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #42
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Weapons training leads to good aikido.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Michael,
Why do you think that weapons must duplicate empty hands scenario????? What's a funny idea!!
It will NEVER happen. Weapons influent empty hand practice in very indirect way.
My poor wording...perhaps a better wording would be that weapons practice was shown to me not to be needed to improve my Aikido and that Aikido was shown to me to be more empty hand than weapons.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
I did first 10 years of practice almost without weapons. Then did I.Shibata sensei(from Berkeley aikikai) seminar and it was really serious shock, I immediately understood how poor was my aikido without weapons practice.
And I went through the opposite transformation. That is also interesting

It therefore probably reflects more of the philosophy of our instructors than the reality of need/not need then.

It might also reflect the quality of instruction or perhaps our own understanding of that instruction that we went through in the first years and the latter years...in my case my training in later years was much more intense and focused. I don't think this is because of the instructor, but more my own commitment to training and perhaps the programs I was enrolled in.

Just a thought.

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs