View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #191
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
*sigh*
I'd be "sighing" too, if I were trying to defend the claim that Fukushima Dai Ichi didn't "blow up".

Quote:
...I don't know what sort of "explosion" David has in mind.
I have in mind the kind of "explosion" that reduces an industrial building to a mass of rubble. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_N-wNFSGyQ

What kind do you have in mind? Apparently not that kind of "explosion," huh? I don't think you'd be around to tell us about it.

Obviously, if you were in a room with a hydrogen combustion, it wasn't the kind of "combustion" that occurred at Fukushima. That one was an "explosion." It fairly destroyed the building.

Quote:
No one -- not even Tepco -- is denying that a partial core meltdown has occurred at Fukushima. The debate is about what the consequences of that are.
Well, one of the consequences was the release of hydrogen, the "explosion" of which destroyed the building. It's theorized that this "explosion" also breeched the reactor containment vessel, exposing the reactor core to the environment. I'm scientific enough that I don't claim this actually happened, though I think it did. I just won't say that it definitely did. I think it "probably" did. A little time will tell.

Katherine[/quote]

Last edited by David Orange : 04-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com