Thread: Elbow Power
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #49
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Re: Elbow Power

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Edo Era was very peaceful. Martial ryu proliferation was caused by the serious limitations imposed by the shogunate to call bs on what was taught as martial arts. Most of the innovation and evolution was developing flowery technique and kata dancing because the Sengoku Era "put up or shut up" was deemed as barbarical and improper. Nihil novum sub sole.

See for instance:

Ronald Dore. Education in Tokugawa Japan. Routledge Library Editions: Japan, Taylor & Francis, 2010 p 151-152
Thomas A. Green and Joseph R. Svinth, Ed. Martial Arts of the World - An Encyclopedia of History and Innovation. ABC-CLIO 2010. p 599
G. Cameron Hurst. Armed Martial Arts of Japan, Yale Univ. Press 1988, p. 73
Anshin, Anatoliy. The Intangible Warrior Culture of Japan: Bodily Practices, Mental Attitudes, and Values of the Two-sworded men from the Fifteenth to the Twenty-first Centuries, Humanities & Social Sciences, Australian Defence Force Academy, UNSW. pp 85
OK, I guess I am corrected. I guess "flowery" technique and kata dancing is not really the "innovation" or "progression" that I'm looking for.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.