JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Starting a kids class- seeking advice & wisdom

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
Kids are walking lie detectors.
That is so correct.

I feel just like you - and I would prefer to have my students practice with me because they want to, but if those few that really misbehave seem to have a contagious effect on half of the rest of the class then I would love to be able to handle it up front. If one way to do this is introducing a little more discipline - like actually checking whether they do their push ups or not - then that may be the way to go.

I will never run one of those "I yell and you duck" dojos.. it's not my style, but I have to find the right mixture of system, discipline, fun and ... well.. other ingredients... that will work for me and allow me to contain all students.

However.. yes... I do believe in being consequent. Kids seek contact - but they also test their boundaries and if you are not ready to tell them what is okay and what is not okay in the dojo, then they will keep pushing until they find a boundary. At least that's what I think.

So.. I create rules that make good sense and that are easy to remember, and I expect them to be followed.. and then if somebody continuously break the rules... well then I will have to find some way of letting them know they crossed the border.

Only thing that can make me really angry is if they deliberately or by gross neglect and against better judgement hurt others or bring them in a dangerous situation...

Anyway.. I seem to have occupied this thread.. Would love to hear from the original poster

And thank you all for a great debate.. I am learning a lot.

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration