View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
Dewey
United_States
Re: losing control...

Quote:
Jess McDonald wrote: View Post
YOYO! So this morning at work I got into a rather vicious argument with a "friend". It got so bad that my boss had to stop me from charging at her and busting her head clean open . Now I know I did not display my aikido discipline and probably should of reacted differently and definitely not engaged in physical violence but it's so damn hard. I subconsciously switched off my rational thinking and was consumed by the anger to the point of wanting to inflict serious bodily harm against another.
Anyway, what do you guys think; how do you control your anger even when someone is dishonoring you? Do you think there's a point where your obligated to stand up for yourself even if violence may ensue? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your comments!! Late!!
P.S. remember this isn't irritation I'm talking about but blinding anger
I can understand this. Verbal assault is often just as painful & angering as physical assault...moreso if it's from someone we know. I work as a contractor at a large aerospace manufacturing plant with a very pro-Union workforce. I am verbally assualted on an almost daily basis, as is my mother or any other female in my life.

At first, it nearly drove me to lash out in physical violence because the verbal abuse was/is so nasty and personal. However, I eventually discovered that the principles of Aikido apply equally to both physical and verbal attacks. Once I came to this discovery, the verbal assaults I receive are effortlessly & harmlessly redirected. Think of it as emotional maai and tai sabaki.

It's hard to explain, but just try it...it works: always keep your emotional maai and tai sabaki.