View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 12:09 PM   #14
ikkitosennomusha
Ok My aiki-friends the wait is over:

First, let me say that this has previously been a debate of the ages because you have too many layman in the MA that can't exlain it so they theoreticize about it and thats how these stories spread; kinda like the one where you supposedly can't throw rice at a wedding because it might kill the birds which is a myth. This myth was started by an error in a newspaper column!

A little about me. I am a chemist studying the M.D. Being an aikidoka, I was able to discover exactly what ki was when I was in my biochemistry course. The prossor doesn't know it as ki because he is not in the MA and I previously did not know what he sees it as becuase I was not in biochemistry! I will know leave you with a special gift. I will put this as simple as possible.

Ki is gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis is the reverse metabolic pathway of glycolysis. To understand what gluconeogenesis is, we must frist discuss glycolysis.

Glycolysis converts glucose to glycogen. The brain's fuel source is glucose but the brain cannot store this for a reserve, so when you eat, nutrients are absorbed in the upper intestine. Sonn after is when glucose gets converted to glycogen which is the stored form of fat. (I can list all molecules of these pathways if anybody wants). When the brain/body need energy, gluconeogenesis occurs which is the process to convert glycogen back to glucose to make fuel readily available.

We all know the hormone adrenaline. This is the "fight or flight" hormone. This hormone is responsible for signaling glucose into production when the body needs some very quick energy. This is why the energy experienced is short lived. This hormone adrenaline, signals gluconeogensis to occur rapidly as this burns energy rapidly so that the fuel is readily available for that "quick emergency"or "quick burst of energy".

This is ki. The rapid production of glycogen to glucose for the "fight or flight". We all know ki as quick internal energy summoned for a punch, a throw, etc. Well, gluconeogenesis is what makes it happen and therefore, goluconeogenesis is ki.

Brad Medling

Last edited by ikkitosennomusha : 03-18-2004 at 12:16 PM.