View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #106
DH
United_States
Re: "Aiki" in Russian Video Clips

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
Actually since there are videos online of Akuzawa and Rob doing a variant, this makes more sense than you might think. Granted I wouldn't expect to learn it well from just video and asking questions online, but I still think there is potential value because people can compare notes. Rob L. may not know how to do it well, but perhaps well enough that if somebody ran into him they could get some pointers. As long as there are no illusions and people keep refining (as they have to do anyway) I think it would be a benefit.

It seems like putting together a puzzle with pieces of collected information, and you never know what bit of information might cause something to click for someone. Rob John could say if anyone made improvement on Ark's material in between seminars. In other words there are probably a number of people who saw him twice, with a year in between. If they made some progress then that shows that while training with someone every week would be great, it's still possible to grind along and get somewhere with infrequent access to any correction.

There will be imperfect transmission and people heading down the wrong path for a little while here and there, and maybe in some cases taking big detours, but that's to be expected with any training process. Information is always better than a lack of information; what people do with it is up to them.
Dan
You missed my point almost entirely. And ironically I couldn't respond. I have had a group of guys here training...long distance! Who have been reading the thread.

So....I didn't say I don't teach long distance-I do. I was arguing nuance and my preferences for starting people off. Your conclusions drawn from that-were more along the lines that I was discounting the method altogether. Which considering how I spend much of my time, either learning, or teaching- is really rather hilarious.

As I said, a group of guys just left here after a 2 day seminar. I haven't seen one of them for about 6 months. Yes he made progress, but there was still allot of missteps and burned-in wrong paths in his body. In short order that was fixed and he even had some significant breakthroughs while here. So of course it can still be productive. Its just a question of geting started off correctly -which he did-hence my earlier comments. Had he not. I think the time here would have been almost entirely of re-training rather than tune-ups and new material.
It is for that reason I said for someone starting out with me -I- don't want to do it, if for that first year I only get to see them once. The first steps are critical with me so I want to ensure they get started correctly. a) So I can feel what their body is doing. b) So that they have a clear understanding of what they should be pursuing in that first year.
Most of the time people only discuss students. I was discussing MY TIME. not just theirs. I know how I teach, and what I can do with people. So I want to maximise that proven track record, and minimize wasting both of our times. Otherwise I just don't want to get involved. I'd consider it a failed attempt or false start. That's just my opinion.
Since I trained mostly long distance for 9 years, doing long seminars and coming home and having to innovate and feel propreaceptively. And secondly- having to focus on body work- as no one wanted to do the highly suspect pretzel logic waza much in the first place, and third, considering as I said, I both personally train, and then teach long distance today, then all due respect-I'm probably the last person on earth who needs to be told whats involved or given pointers on the difficulties of either this material, or training long distance in the first place...ohy!
I live it, and get it...in spades!

All other facets, comparisons of talent and innate ability are of course open for discussion, and there are good points and bad. After getting a good start I think more can be accomplished with folks that are bright, innovative, and hungry. It is the start up I was addressing, and the fact that no amount of descriptions I have seen have helped much without the hands-on explanation accompanying them.
YMMV-I get to see and feel quite a few folks trying to get some connection burned in..Waza isn't gonna a do it-not by a long shot. Its the slowest method out there. And neither is descriptions on the net to those who are not training with someone who can touch them and make corrections in person.
One last thing
I don't have people who train every week who are not getting it. I just don't. If they keep coming they get it and it builds. Those who train with me long distance are getting it as well. I get to see the comparisons of my own methods with my own people weekly or long distance all the time. The weekly training hands-on, is just simply the better way.
Hope that clarifies my view a little better for ya.

Last edited by DH : 08-14-2008 at 11:46 AM.