View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #1492
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I try to be a very helpful guy

Justin, my invitation still stands. You can even borrow my copy of Tomei no chikara if you want and copy the passages. Asuming you can find a 3rd party translator, you will find the same things written that have often been spoken in this thread, if you want reassurance from a far more authoritative figure than myself. Feel free to PM me.

That being said, Justin, I would not act surprised if people interpret your motives to be something else when there have been opportunities to feel this stuff first hand.
Of course, whatever you know, big or small, is your business, Hunter.... but in reality why would you show someone like Justin anything? Do you think he is someone who would be changed and whose personality would change if he knew the truth? What about any potential students Justin might have in the future... would you think that you are helping those people by showing Justin a few bits and pieces or would it be better for those imaginary students if you simply worked to keep Justin out of the teaching ranks of various arts? I'm just curious about what your motivation is. Justin's personal characteristics are pretty well-delineated by now and he's probably a good example to use in discussion about baseline skillsets (and who should be shown) as well as the baseline skillsets themselves. What I'm interested in is considering some of the reasons for why these skills are not very widespread and whether maybe that's not always a bad thing. For instance, do you think O-Sensei would have openly told a Justin Smith anything important about these skills?

Best.

Mike