View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Neat ways to set up Kubinage...

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Kubinage doesn't seem any more dangerous than seoi nage, to me. In fact, it seems less likely to head-plant the uke than seoi nage.

In Japan, I remember one little fellow especially, about 4 years old, but when he trained in judo, he had a face like a solid and pure-hearted man.

I think judo is pretty generally safe for kids if you don't drive them to exhaustion. Techniques like kotegaeshi concern me more with children.

FWIW

David
Hi David,
From what little experience I have, I agree...and the kids seem to be acting in a safe way to me. I'm always a little leary when I see kids grabbing and throwing each other by the head, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. I took many a pile-driver in the late 80's (~10y/o) and never once got hurt, because I was prepared for it and took precautions. I didn't mess around.
So while I do agree with the idea that those are dangerous things to practice, I also think they can be invaluable to learn how to deal with as long as approached with the right mindset.
The school teacher training in me just felt compelled to say something more than "cool!"
Take care,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 04-21-2011 at 10:58 PM.