View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
chillzATL
United_States
Re: 2nd Kyu

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Your from Hungary aren't you Jason!
Seriously though, am I correct that this covers all the material previously learned from 6th kyu up?

Quite extensive indeed - you must have some energy indeed for all of this, especially if you turn around and act as uke afterwards. [The falling down and getting up wears me out more than doing the techniques! - of course]

The thesis is a new twist, but intriguing as you have to try to put into words what you know.

Are you part of Aiki-kai? I saw mention of ki test, so perhaps ki-aikido?

Thanks for sharing... by the way how is the flow in the dojo?
Can you comment on how the performance consistency is per level? Do you believe this structure helps in that? [I assume you have time set aside to practice for the exams, or you have to do this on your own time?]

Peace

dAlen
Thank you!

Well, 5th (we start at 5th) through 3rd kyu you have the 15 basic techniques, rather than the 50, but apart from that the test's are very similar across the board. The main difference is what you're asked to do outside the 15/50 and the intensity level you're expected to perform under.

Yes it's quite exhausting, even from 5th kyu and on. As I mentioned the ryokata randori continues until you cannot, at all levels. Nikyu and up typically takes over an hour. If you were taking ukemi for someone after your own test, I think they'd probably cut you some slack and make sure you didn't have to go immediately after your own test.

We're a Ki society offshoot (the first I believe). Our sensei (Roy Suenaka) trained under O'sensei and Tohei sensei and was one of Tohei sensei's shihan when he broke from the Aikikai. He separated from Tohei sensei around 1977 and has been teaching his own style out of Charleston, Sc since then. It's obviously very similar to what Tohei sensei was teaching in those early years, but also contains a lot of what he learned from O'sensei directly as well as his own extensive martial arts background and combat history. We're recognized by the Aikikai, by way of his history with them, but not affiliated beyond that.

Well, if I'm interpreting what you're asking about flow correctly, it's an important part of what we do, but it's never emphasized for its own sake. Good flow should be a result of proper technique, body mechanics, focus on ki principles, etc and not just there to look good. We're considered by most to be a hard style though.

We're a small, tight organization, so the skill level is consistent. I'm not aware of anyone getting rank just for showing up. We only test once per year, at best. So if you're asked to test it's because your sensei knows you're ready, but you're still expected to perform during the test and the quality/level of that is what really determines the outcome.