View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #39
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Feeling

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
As to me needing to train with someone else or someone else needing to train with me I see no need.If a person is stuck or looking for help then fine, anything else, not interested really.
Tell, 'em, Graham. You can tell Dan that you can do everything he can do and no one should tell you you have to prove it. You can just take credit for it.

Of course, when Dan said what he could do, he was always willing to prove it, but that's not always necessary to get credit for being able to do it.

I once met Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was big and impressive-looking, but it didn't bother me. I told him, "I can lift as much weight as you."

He said, "Come to the gym and let's see."

I said, "Nah...I do it a spiritual way, so I don't need to prove it."

I met Mikhail Baryshnikhov and said, "You're a great dancer, but I can do anything you can do."

He said, "Oh, wonderful. We need a male dancer for our next show. Come to the studio and let's rehearse together."

I said, "Nah...I do a spiritual kind of dance. You don't need to see it."

He said, "Actually...I have seen a video of your dancing and, frankly...it wasn't so good."

I just snorted and said, "You don't understand." And that was good enough.

I met Miles Davis once and said, "Your music is pretty good, but I play the trumpet as well as you do."

His eyebrows went up and he said, "Strange I've never heard of you. But since you're good, come by after my set tonight and we'll jam."

I said, "Nah...I play a spiritual trumpet. I don't have to show you."

So I can blow the horn like Miles, lift weight like Arnie and dance like Mihail, but if anyone wants me to prove it...they're just being unspiritual.

I won't even bother you with what happened when I met the Dalai Lama, but I can tell you, he was impressed.

I'm sure Dan would shut up if you were to put hands on him, but I know that what you do is spiritual, so there's really no need for you to do that.

Of course, of all the budo men (and women) I've ever met, if anyone ever told them they could do something in budo, the budo folks always said, "Show me. Do it on me."

Talk is fine, but the rule of budo has always been "Put up or shut up."

You should think about that.

Cheers.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com