View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #38
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Feeling

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Thanks for the clarifications Graham. It clears up some of my confusion....

I don't want to cut into semantics, but just because you "choose" not to call what you do "internal strength" does not mean it is not internal strength. I can call a duck a goose, but that does not change what it is. I am trying to ascertain what you are claiming to do, not what you call it. Your post and your subsequent responses strongly indicate that you possess "aiki" in your aikido. I introduced the term "aiki" because that is, of course, the focal point of [our] training, to express aiki.

My point was that I do not hear the phrase "you have to feel this" as instructional curriculum for a extra-sensory experience. When I hear the phrase it usually is applied as an instructional aid to something which [currently] defies verbal explanation. In the aikido in which I am immersed, aiki is demonstrative, real and not extra-sensory. Your expansion of the phrase as a instructional experience into a 6th perception, not classically defined (as Lynn pointed out), is a new adventure to me.

Further, I was explaining that my experiences are that very few aikido people have the ability to constantly and consistently express aiki in their aikido. I know many friends who are training to realize that expression. When you say things like what you posted in this thread, I am sincerely trying to comprehend if that piece is actually part of the puzzle.

This, in part, is part of my confusion. You have your own definition for many things. We sometimes tease you about the "Graham Lexicon" that is required to translate your posts. You could have been a cryptologist for the Allies in WWII...

Part of what you are saying is true, it does come down to acceptance. Right now, I do not even understand the premise you are presenting, let alone reaching a level of discussion that would provoke me to accept or reject your premise.

After your clarifications, it sounds like you are presenting the claim that "spiritual feeling" is required for proper aikido. Is that more accurate?
Thank you Jon for a very nice reply.

In answer to your question re: spiritual then yes. This is what I 'claim' and have stated on many an occasion. Spiritual perception and thus feeling I would call it rather than just feeling.

Spiritually you can perceive the motion of anothers mind, spiritually you can perceive the space of another and your own, spiritually you can perceive the circles and lines extant in technical Aikido. When you perceive them you get a resultant feeling, thus you get used to it and learn.

Thus it works in alignment with rather than different to the technical, in fact once gotten each 'seen' principle at work is now very real and usable and also seen in life and living.

Thus I can say as I have before that I think along the lines of principles rather than intellectual data.

The principle of inflow outflow can be seen physically by the effect of a pebble dropped into a still pond. It can be felt physically by tuning into and studying breathing. The spiritual workings of this principle can only be perceived spiritually and thus recognised universally. Ego, the mind, the body cannot do this. The body can feel effects of, the mind can think about and 'reason' and intellectualize but neither can do it. Spirit can do it and share it with the mind.

In my Aikido for instance I get people to follow these universal principles whether they believe them or not. I get them to feel them and study them and use them. Thus they at first try to follow what I say, keep at it and then experience it working with the desired effect. They are always surprised, especially in the beginning, for it appears not to fit in with logic. Yet they felt it, they did it, they experienced the result. That feeling or the accompanying feelings that went with their action were different to what they are used to as well and hence they find it fascinating.

As they progress the mind comes to terms and understands which shows me spiritual comes first in my way.

All this is subservient to and in my opinion and teaching of any true worth only if it follows four basic truths pertinent to Aikido.

These four basic truths I may call the pillars of My Aikido and they are Love, Goodness, True Self (spirit) and Faith.(confidence if you like)

Heart, soul, self and faith.

Therefore if a person does not have the purposes which fit in with the principles of these four things they cannot do my Aikido and in my opinion cannot fully appreciate the fullness of Aikido.

So that's a bit more outline as to how I approach it, see it, teach it.

For me there is no such thing as Ueshibas Aikido for Aikido has always and will always be there for it is universal truth. There is however Aikido which Ueshiba saw and practiced and passed on as a Master of the art.

Regards.G.

Last edited by graham christian : 01-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.