View Single Post
Old 10-23-2000, 11:46 AM   #10
Guest5678
Re: Re: shodans, nidans, are all rank to me......

[/b][/quote]
Actually, at this point I don't think that rank means anything in regards to competence unless you know who the teacher is and how long they haver trained with that teacher. Then you have to be familiar with how that particular teacher grades to have some idea what the rank might mean as far as competence.
[/b][/quote]

Good point here however, on the other side of the coin, I would not make the mistake of formulating an opinion of the teacher based on the performance of the student either. I say this because I personally don't believe you can actually teach anyone anything....... you can only help them discover it for themselves. After all, it's their body and mind and you can't just jump in there and show them how things "feel". Whether a student is grasping the concepts being taught is just as dependant upon the students ability to learn as it is the ability of the teacher to teach.

I never have been able to figure out this ranking thing anyway. There are guidlines of course, but as Ledyard sensei stated, it's really up to the particular sensei of a particular dojo....... strange thing this rank.

Train hard, Play hard, Live easy.

Dan P. - Mongo