View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Dan Harden in Hawaii - December 2014

Here's an interesting account of grappling with Dan Harden written by one of the July workshop attendees, who flew in to Hawaii from Thailand just for the workshop. Come see Dan this December at the Hawaii "Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido" workshops on Oahu and in Hilo and feel him for yourself!
Quote:
"I'll try to explain what it felt like as the partner, keep in mind that I don't have the internals so I'm just relating what it felt like as the partner.

From recollection Dan demoed jujigatame (armbar) twice for us in Oahu with me as partner. The first time he just did it and the second time he explained what he was doing, showed how his shoulder was raised up and when he would draw it back in and start winding. Both times he had me hold the armbar at full extension. This is the point where my Judo coach here in Thailand, a British 6th Dan of 55 years experience would say, "okay that's it, there's no coming back from this point" - then it felt to me like Dan just drew his shoulder back in and then I could feel that he had control of my body and he was able to move me around. He did this all slowly so that I could feel and people could see. From my position holding his arm it felt like he was using the same amount of power it would take to turn a door knob. It was an uncanny experience.

He also demoed what I think he said was winding out from under mount position. He pointed out that he doesn't buck the hips but he just slowly wound (I think) and his body just slowly "turned" me off the side and I was in an unbalanced position. Again this was really different from any mount escape that I've experienced before. If anyone has any photos of that that would be great to see again too because as the partner I only remember the feeling. Again, he did this slowly, there was no build up of momentum to torque me off.

I forgot to ask him to demo his response to being in guard - next time!"
Best,

Chris