View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Brown Belt Syndrome

Hi Clayton: good to hear you're still at least thinking about training. I'm sure different situations get different responses. You were luck in that you had high level talen around you. We have a mixed group although being small we are top heavy with 4 black belts. You'll have to drop by and train in the finished dojo if you get back to Midland during the holidays. We always enjoy having you. Check around, there might be something close to you-lots of dojos in California.

As to concern with 5th kyu, yes, I have a concern about why people drop out-especially if they are talented. However, I suspect a lot of that has to do with the art just not fitting them personality wise. I also have less investment in my time and effort working with them at that level. I fully appreciate the work they have done to get to 2nd kyu and to me it seems a waste not to stick it out. I appreciate the new students as well and hope they all stick around. Unfortunately, many find that it is not a quick trip and for whatever reason choose to not devote the time and effort. Some can't do it for financial reasons.

I have seen this with about a half dozen brown belts. I personally have difficulty understanding why it happens since I did not experience it myself. In fact, I did the opposite. I significantly increased my training when I hit 2nd kyu from 5 days a week to 7 and 2-3 days of double training (early morning and evening classes).

Mark: I like your comment that people have to find the commitment within themselves.