View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 04:25 AM   #61
observer
United_States
Re: Music in the Dojo?

One day I went to the cinema to watch a film Tango directed by Carlos Saura. It is not without significance for this statement that years ago I was a player and judo instructor and now I'm judansha of Ki Society. Watching the movie, I realized what, really, in the Argentine tango is all about. I reached into tango's roots and I put a bold thesis that is derived from combat knife training as a music background to boring, repeated over and over movement sequences, known in our community as kata. This is rhythmic music with constantly changing pace. When going to Argentina to verify this thesis, I received the confirmation from famous Juan Carlos Copes, the father of Argentine tango resurrection after the fall of military junta, which it banned. Music was accompanied with words of protest, which made the tango died for almost two generations. It was replaced by Presley, the Beatles and the new popular type of music.

Thus, the Argentine tango clearly defines the role of partners. We are talking about partners, since the thirties of the last century they were basically only men. Often, this fact is explained by the lack of women, yet my thesis has its justification. Thus, one of the partners leads (read - attacks), while the other, exclusively follows him (read - avoid attacks). When they dance very close to each other (read - close embrace) leaders and similarly followers hook the legs (read - breaking balance to lead to the collapse). These combinations of legs rather fit into judo, no less, my presence in Buenos Aires gave me the idea that tango definitely is closer to me to aikido. Well, this city never sleeps. Every night, between midnight and dawn in almost fifty places, people are dancing the tango. These events are called milonga (not to be confused with the kind of tango - next to tango and waltz) and are usually very crowded. I've been on those where the dance floor contained 500 pairs. The trick is to not mutually deduct. Argentine tango masters, are masters of evasion. Probably some of you read that Morihei Ueshiba was always the first to reach the target on a crowded train station. Feel free to discuss.