View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #28
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: Ki and Remaining Grounded

Quote:
Matthew Bowen wrote: View Post
Might come as a shock to some of you, but ki doesn't exist - there is no invisible force that can be summoned by mind-power to make you heavier than you should be.

Ki, if anything, can be used as a metaphor only - a metaphor that helps to trick the mind into only using muscle groups that are needed as opposed to trying to use everything and using excess energy. Teaching it as a physical force is venturing into the realm of delusion.
Ok. I hesitate to get into this, and there's not any real way to respond without a negative valance.... How to proceed without turning this into a big Ki war.... I've been teaching Aikido for 25 years. I've studied or been exposed to Many different styles and approaches, from extremely physical/technical to very esoteric. One thing I've learned is embodied by this old saying:

"An interesting thing about life is, for every truth that is real for one person, somewhere in the Universe the exact opposite is likely to be true for someone else. And that somewhere may be very close at hand."

I personally accept many beliefs, many perspectives, and I have had many experiences outside of the "norm." I am known in the LA area for teaching Aikido with Ki (not Ki Society per se.) I've had old Chinese acupuncturists who I don't even know refer people to me to learn about energy. Some of them have been quite good martial artists in Krav, BJJ, etc. They all ended up studying under me.

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, just to make a point. For you to make such definitive statements here, as if you know the ultimate truth about it and for everyone everywhere, to me, is.... well, many things but I'll just say, arrogant beyond belief.

Quote:
But where does that leave us? I do not throw my uke with my ki; I exploit the known mechanics of the human body in such a way as to take uke off-balance. My feet are kept firmly on the ground through good footwork and solid technique.

As for big people lifting you off the ground from behind, you're not in a very good situation - you're in a situation where everything you've learnt goes out the window because you have no footwork, you have no posture, you have no nothing. You'd be better off talking to the guy rather than extending your ki.

Peace be with you.
The remainder of your post corroborates my previous sense of your arrogance. And real inexperience. This last scenario is one of the Best ways to practice - when thigs are Not going right - how do you still do Aikido. You do not "have no nothing" - you have a lot to work with if you have the experience and training. The real world is very different than the dojo environment.

Peace be with you as well.

Last edited by Aiki1 : 11-07-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido