View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #32
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Punishing Uke

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote:
I tend to find that the best way to make sure I am doing the correct Kata is for Uke to attack strongly enough to hurt me with their strikes or put on full resistance when attacking with a grab. Without a strong, committed and resistant attack, I can do things that are not good Kata and get away with it. When the attack is serious, I have to do good Kata or the technique doesn't work.
Sounds like good training to me. When I read Rob's comments more closely, I realized that he is describing a kind of uke who does not have precise attacks. It sounds like they don't prescribe an exact technique. There's no way to practice effectively without good attacks--not general gestures with the hands.

Quote:
For me, the Kata is the demonstration of the principles and the principles are there to ensure that the Kata works.
I have come to believe that kata are taken directly from nature--from how people naturally move and do things. The particular movements in a kata are included because they are good examples of the principles the kata is trying to teach. And I'm not talking about kihon waza training, but about formal, paired kata like those in judo and yoseikan aikido, with or without weapons.

Quote:
If a novice is trying a technique and you allow the novice to complete the technique even though they are not doing the correct Kata, you may keep them from being frustrated but you are also helping them learn bad Kata.
Well, they do have to go through very rough and general stages to assimilate a kata. And as formal teaching presentations, formal kata contain virtually no resistance at all. If you mean practice of techniques, then the basic kata form of that should be quickly assimilated and shaped up through a senior uke's judicious resistance when they go off the way.

Quote:
If the novice is getting frustrated, it is not up to the Uke to lighten up but for the Sensei to deal with the problematic Kata. As long as Uke is not trying to stop Nage by switching the attack or their balance all the time, the novice Nage should be able to learn the correct Kata.
YES.

Quote:
On the other hand, that may be why we have so few students in our Dojo and lose so many after a couple weeks/months.
and YES.

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com