Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #23
bendo
Dojo: Footscray Aikikai
Australia
Re: How does one stay stable

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Salutation Ben,

I used to face a similar problem as you described above. I was frustrated and kept asking in my mind... why the hell don't they move around into position like we see in those beautiful demos?

After some "explaination" by sensei, I realised that why should they? I was the tori, it is my job to make them move. In real encounter, no aggressor will be that cooperative.

So what happen was, I was told to move my one arm into position for hijiate after the initial tenkan. Then using the hijiate position, spin the uke around which uke must move due to the pressure on elbow, then abruptly stop and reverse direction. The other hand which you are holding to the wrist, move into position for kotegashi. Holding the wrist near your hara (near navel), apply kotegashi with a direct downward force. Pls note: you also apply ude garami from this similar movement.

This results in a uke who must fall, not only due to the massive pressure on the wrist but also you would have taken his balance by means of kuzushi.

Do try this Ben. I hope this helps.

Boon.
I will have a play with your suggestion. Thanks.

I keep have a recurring thought though. Why should uke follow you after your tenkan -> Why is uke attacking in the first place? I think we as uke's should start an attack, and keep attacking until we are disposed of by nage in some way...

bendo